Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Bug Reports Here

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist

Report any problems you're having with the site here so our developers can take a look at it. Thank you!

I'll start: @DocR mentioned that ARG0000g3x isn't showing any contours. That bug might have been fixed or it might be a fluke, but I wasn't sure.

Posted

• planetaryscience by planetaryscience

May just be my computer, but sometimes, when I'm not logged on, it goes back to the tutorial when I go back.

On an unrelated topic, when you click "discuss", could it open on a new tab instead of the same?

Thanks! 😄

Posted

• edpaget by edpaget

Both should be fixed now!

Posted

• planetaryscience by planetaryscience in response to edpaget's comment.

Thanks! I noticed the difference immediately 😄 😄

Posted

• raynorris by raynorris scientist

Sometimes the contour on/off button goes into reverse mode, showing contours when they're "off", and not showing them when they're "on"

Posted

Sometimes the infrared image is offset from the radio image. Lots of examples if you need any

Posted

• edpaget by edpaget

@raynorris. What browser/operating system are you using? Does happen frequently? I'm having trouble duplicating at the moment.

Posted

I have that problem, too though. I use windows vista, and it happens EVERY TIME

Posted

• edpaget by edpaget

@planetaryscience in Internet Explorer?

Posted

google- but it happens in both.

Posted

• edpaget by edpaget in response to planetaryscience's comment.

What sequence of the events lead to that happening? Do you toggle a couple times and it gets stuck in 'reverse mode'?

Posted

I don't know, it just happens sometimes when going back a page.

Posted

• mfinnega by mfinnega

It would be really nice if the "turn off contours" control was in closer proximity to the Done/Finish NoInfrared/MarkAnother controls, as you often have to turn off the contours to determine if there is (faint) infrared or not. Lots of extraneous mouse travel.

Posted

• KWillett by KWillett scientist, admin, translator

True, but we want to separate the identification tasks (those that are recorded) from the image settings, if possible. Have you tried using the "c" button to turn off the contours?

Posted

• mfinnega by mfinnega in response to KWillett's comment.

If it were in the lower right corner/side, it would still be psychologically separate, yet physically closer.

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin

@N5bz noticed that the IR source is being marked in the wrong are on the image. See here:

http://radiotalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BRG0000001/discussions/DRG0000007?page=1&comment_id=52b25e192b60f163bc00010f

Posted

• N5bz by N5bz

I also have a general comment on zooniverse projects: PLEASE give us 'shortcut keys' for all 'buttons'. I HATE to use the mouse to press buttons. It should be reserved for selecting spots on images! Ideally, one hand on the keyboard and one on the mouse should let us do everything without the distraction of finding the buttons with the mouse.
    Of course, for those that LIKE to use the mouse to press buttons, let them, but don't force everyone to use the mouse to press each button!
    I can (and have) used 'AutoHotKey' to create my own keyboard short cuts on some projects, but why not build them into the interfaces?

Let me congratulate you for having keyboard shortcuts in this project!

The 'next' (spacebar) does NOT seem to work after 'congratulations' message is displayed.

Posted

• HelPer2 by HelPer2

I've tried to comment on a few images recently and find that the "Discuss" button just opens the image with no comment box. I'm using Chrome, as I have been from the start.

Posted

• edpaget by edpaget in response to N5bz's comment.

@N5bz The spacebar should advance to the next subject now, and the 'n' key will also mark images as "No Contours" or "No Infrared" depending on which step you're on.

I'm having trouble duplicating your other issue with the offset clicks. Does it happen on every image or is it intermittent? If you open the Chrome menu and go to About Google Chrome, what version does it say you're using? Are you zooming into the page at all or using any extensions that might modify page content?

Posted

• edpaget by edpaget in response to HelPer2's comment.

@HelPer2 what browser and operating system are you using? Is Talk showing you as logged in when you initially arrive?

Posted

• HelPer2 by HelPer2

I'm using Chrome with Vista home. It was all working fine yesterday, but today I don't get a comment box when I choose "Discuss", just the image, and "Science" "Help" and "Chat" links

Posted

• N5bz by N5bz in response to edpaget's comment.

CHROME 17.0.963.83. I have some extensions loaded that I use in WAZE editing maps. I would hope they are not active outside of WAZE map editor. I will try a 'sandboxie' session with all extensions disabled.
    The problem happens on every image. It is not intermittent. I was apparently zoomed out somewhat. When I did a ctrl-0 to reset zoom, the image got larger.
    The 'space bar seems to become ineffective for 'next' when the work is done and the 'Great work' message is showing.

Ctrl-0 FIXED the offset of the marking of the IR image!!!!!!
    I still need to use the mouse to select the 'mark more' and the 'next image'.

Going from classifying to discussion appears to log one out of classifying and require logging into the discussion.
    I am currently running classifying and discussing in separate tabs so I don't need to keep logging back in.

Posted

Ah, that's a really old version of Chrome (the current version is 31), if you can update it, I'd highly recommend it, purely from a system security perspective.

I figured the offset was due to zoom level, but that problem seems to be solved in the current version of Chrome from my testing.

Posted

• edpaget by edpaget in response to HelPer2's comment.

What version of Chrome are you using? (Find in the Chrome menu under "About Google Chrome"). You may also have a setting or extension that's blocking our cookie from working cross site. That could be a setting under Chrome Menu -> Settings -> Advanced -> Privacy -> Content Settings. If either "Block third-party cookies and data" or "Block sites from setting any data" are checked it could interfere with login, but both should be unchecked by default.

Posted

• N5bz by N5bz in response to edpaget's comment.

Running a 'portable' version of chrome. (that explains the 'very old version'. I will try updating or finding a newer portable version.
    Classifying an image seems to log me out of discussing (unless I am currently editing a post) or the time-out is set very short.
    Still need a shortcut key for 'mark another' and for the 'next' after 'finish'.

I agree the zoom seems to have been causing the offset. Anyone with a similar problem should try resetting zoom (ctrl-zero)

Shift-space seems to fail to work sometimes.

edit: NOW, the space IS working for advancing to the next image!

Posted

I'll add a key for mark another as well (probably 'm'), although if you just click on another contour from that step it'll work the same. 😉

After you've updated chrome let me know if you're still having trouble with space to advance to the next subject. It should be working.

Posted

• HelPer2 by HelPer2

Hi, I'm using version 31.0.1650.63 m, which is supposed to be up to date. Since posting I've closed down galaxy zoo radio, logged in and out etc. but still no comment box. Ordinary galaxy zoo "discuss" seems to be working fine. BTW I don't have any problems logging in. (Today 😉)

Posted

• HelPer2 by HelPer2

I just tried Firefox, and everything seems to be working fine in that. I'll shut down my computer and see if Chrome works tomorrow (It is my preferred browser).

Posted

• dosey by dosey

Please, what to do if the marker will not mark a tiny dot that is the same colour as the rings and looks as if should be marked?

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin in response to dosey's comment.

Hi @dosey, can you give me an example?

Posted

• WizardHowl by WizardHowl in response to HelPer2's comment.

I'm using the same version of Chrome and have the same operating system as this and experience the same problem - however, I do see the comment box when I go to discuss an object if someone else has already made a comment. It seems the problem is just the box not appearing if no comment exists. (So hopefully this is only a minor code fix rather than requiring users to switch to a different browser?)

Posted

• OnyxDragon by OnyxDragon

Sorry, pedant onboard. In the Spotter's Guide the (I assume) word 'multiple' is misspelled 'mutliple'.

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

Thanks heaps @OnyxDragon ! I'll send in the request

Posted

• rlb66 by rlb66

New and confused. First, the tutorial does not work in Internet Explorer, V. 6.60.6002 (Goggle), I changed to Google Chrome where it does work (although later I found comments block does not work). Also, nothing works in Firefox. To understand better, I tried to fail different aspects of the tutorial with lack of feed back? Can not find in Tutorial "this is what it should look like when you are done".

Posted

@rib66xyz: Glad that Chrome worked for you. The basic idea for the project is really for you to click on all the jet(s) belonging to the same galaxy then identify that galaxy. If there is another galaxy in the frame with radio emission then click on "Match Another" and repeat the process.

Have you tried opening the Spotter's Guide tab to get a rough feel for the project? Some of the image fields you will see are complicated and messy.... so don't worry, do your best and you will have helped us heaps 😃

Posted

• rws by rws in response to WizardHowl's comment.

I confirm the behaviour seen by HelPer2 and WizardHowl. My Chrome version is 31.0.1650.63 (238485). Neither the "Block third-party cookies and data" nor "Block sites from setting any data" are checked.

In Firefox the same happens, if I have the NoScript plugin installed (which many people do), but I can get the comment box if I "allow" the cloudflare.com site to execute scripts or whatever.

This does NOT happen on the spacewarps project pages which have the same setup, so why here?

Posted

• WizardHowl by WizardHowl in response to rws's comment.

I have confirmed that I am not blocking 3rd party cookies or sites from setting data and I am using Version 31.0.1650.63 m Chrome with Windows Vista Home Version. I do not normally see the RA and DEC co-ordinates or the survey ID of the image, either, except in those cases where I also see the Comment box appearing and some other cases (it mostly seems to appear within the discussions threads started by other people but not myself).

Posted

• WizardHowl by WizardHowl

Could the problem I am having in not seeing the comment box, FIRST ID/buttons, RA/DEC when I select Discuss be related to my version of Java? I normally see these features when someone else has started a discussion (not just a tag, though). My Java version was updated 1/1/14 and is version 7 update 45, build 1.7.0_45-b18 .

I have compared the page source for an object that was showing all the features it should (image ARG0001l8w) and one that I had just classified (ARG0002z8o) that shows none of them and they are identical. The part of the source that seems to create the buttons and the Comment box, as well as showing the FIRST ID and the RA and DEC, looks like it is running a Java program. Is there a preferred version of Java?

Also, sometimes when one of these pages is loading after I click Discuss, it seems as if the Comment box etc. does appear very briefly but then the page is rewritten and it is no longer there.

Posted

• lamperti by lamperti

When I go to Discuss a particular image, a different image comes up instead. I cleared cookies.

Posted

• lamperti by lamperti

The above problem started with the relatively newer images that seem to be of lower magnification than the others. Many sources in the images that are IR positive

Posted

• HelPer2 by HelPer2

Hi, I'm now using Firefox - after the problems with Chrome described above. Same problem as lamperti describes has just started happening. The last two images I've dealt with have opened completely different images when I've clicked on "Discuss".

Posted

• HelPer2 by HelPer2

I've tried to report the same problem of different images opening when trying to open discuss but my post disappeared when I pressed "Submit" ! Like lamperti this has been with images of somewhat different appearance than the others and have many IR point sources per image.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

This has happened before; this thread contains posts by Ed Paget - Lead Developer - on what's going on.

Posted

• HelPer2 by HelPer2

Thanks Jean

Posted

• HelPer2 by HelPer2

The address I am on is: http://radio.galaxyzoo.org/#/classify and I didn't change anything from one image to the next "Faulty" one. I am getting the same images with same faulty links all the time now, so I'm going to go and watch Stargazing Live and hope it is resolved when I return tomorrow!

Posted

• DocR by DocR scientist

Software team is working on it, hang in there! Thanks for your patience.

Posted

• firejuggler by firejuggler

yup, since a few hours I can't classify anything as the IR and radio image don't show up. Tried with chrome , firefox, and the dreaded IE... make it work again soon, please.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to firejuggler's comment.

Strange ... it's working fine for me now ...

Posted

• lamperti by lamperti

Same black images...nothing. Even refreshing does not do it. Using Firefox

Posted

This is what I get with FF or chrome.
    Moving the cursor doesn't help, CTRL+F5 neither.

error

Posted

• Milkybear by Milkybear

oh phew, it's not just me then

Posted

• lamperti by lamperti

I get a listing of all of the commands and all of the buttons we usually see one at a time, but they all appear at once. e.g.
    "Click on...."
    "Click the associated...."
    "Are there any more..."
    "Great Work!"

"Cancel", "No Contours" "Done"
    "Cancel" "No Infrared" "Done"
    "Cancel" "Mark Another" "Finish"
    "Favorite" "Discuss" "Next"

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to firejuggler's comment.

I'm now getting much the same thing (I use Firefox).

Posted

• edpaget by edpaget

Hey everyone, it looks like the traffic from BBC Stargazing Live might be affecting subjects being served to some browsers. Hopefully it should clear up soon as we get make more capacity available.

Posted

• Aparadox by Aparadox

Firefox build 23.0.1
    http://radio.galaxyzoo.org added to cookies exceptions
    also in Outpost web control properties all set to allow (active x cookies etc)
    Image is present in radio galaxy zoo in tutorial after tutorial is complete
    No image appears in the window

Posted

• edpaget by edpaget

Hi all, good news on the bad subject front.

So to handle the immense traffic we get from the aforementioned Stargazing Live show, we created a cache of subjects that could be loaded when our servers were unable to keep up with the traffic. We've been testing over the week or so leading up the event, which runs through tomorrow.

The problem was due to a miscommunication between another developer and I, which resulted in the "emergency mode" subjects being generated from our beta data. That should be fixed within the next few minutes. Some of you may have gotten blank screens recently. That was because I deleted the remaining beta images from our servers since it would be better to just have a blank screen than an incorrect subject.

I'm very sorry about causing this problem, but it should be fixed permanently within the hour, and any incorrect subjects that were classified will not affect the results of Radio Galaxy Zoo.

A big thanks to everyone that helped me track down this bug.

Posted

back to normal, thanks again

Posted

• Aparadox by Aparadox in response to Aparadox's comment.

problem fixed by updating java

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Talk seems extremely slow today (classify page working OK).

Posted

The Zooniverse is currently broadcasting in the UK on BBC Stargazing Live. There's a lot of demand on the servers recently due to the increase in attention.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to KWillett's comment.

That's what I guessed; nice to know that's why ... and such a good reason for it to be slow! Maybe Rob (or Chris?) could also give RGZ a plug, so enthusiastic zooites could drop in here too?

Posted

• rws by rws

Still no comment box in Chrome.

Posted

• biggsjrex by biggsjrex

I am using Safari 5.0.6 - also no comment box

Posted

• WizardHowl by WizardHowl in response to rws's comment.

Thanks to assistance from the developers and DocR I can now get a comment box and SDSS/NVSS buttons etc. on the subject pages in Chrome. To get them to appear I have to bring up the JavaScript console and then refresh the screen. The JavaScript console is found from the Chrome menu by selecting Tools (it may also be bound to Ctrl+Shift+J). Once up it may show a warning for the page and errors appear in red. For me, one of the errors disappears on a refresh and when the console is dismissed the comment box and buttons etc. are there.

Posted

• Jacko99 by Jacko99

Using Window7 and Chrome, I cannot access the comments box, however using IE everything appears OK.
    Jacko99.

Posted

• basst82 by basst82

Using Safari 6.1.1 on my MacBook I only rarely was getting the comment box or the links to SDSS, FIRST, etc. but the sliders and marking tools all worked. I switched to Firefox 11.0 and I now am getting all the comments and outside links, but the sliders don't show up at all for me.

Posted

• DocR by DocR scientist

Sorry for delay. I'll post this to the IT crew.

Posted

• Vaporware by Vaporware

Same comment box issue with chrome on mac. Version 32.0.1700.102.
    Funnily, Canary (the bleeding edge chrome version) Version 34.0.1812.0 canary works just fine.

Made the first day very confusing, since my only options were to start a discussion to add a hashtag.

edit: Hitting the "discuss" button from the classification page still does not bring up the comments box, that is only available if clicking on it from a favorites link or another discussion page

Posted

• WizardHowl by WizardHowl

Today I have no longer needed to refresh the screen with the Javascript console up in order to see the FIRST etc. links and comment box - whatever fix has been done is working fine: great work and thanks! If the problem recurs I'll post again.

Posted

• Ptd by Ptd

http://radiotalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/subjects/ARG0001vi3

In this one, in the initial 'classify' page, there are two Radio contours, but once you go to 'discus' a third contour is visible

Posted

Thanks heaps @Ptd. Noted.

Posted

• paulintka by paulintka

The contours are not visible in the tutorial (independently from setting of the switch). Also starting trom the third panel in tutorial, the panels are on far right (you have to scroll site to see it). Present on chrome v41 and firefox v36, didn't check other browsers.

Posted

Thanks @paulintka. I will check with the developers.

Posted

just checked back. should be solved now.....

Posted

• DZM by DZM Zooniverse Team in response to ivywong's comment.

Yes, please let us know if that tutorial bug is fixed! 😃

Posted

• gavinrider by gavinrider

I have just been shown the same image twice, two weeks apart. (Image ARG000274j). Am I classifying so many images that I am going through them all again???

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to gavinrider's comment.

I just replied to your other thread; re this:

Am I classifying so many images that I am going through them all again???

No. There's a note somewhere, to the effect that there are ~100k images/fields (I'm going from memory, finding the relevant thread in Talk is a nightmare) currently in the database (to be served up to zooites like the two of us), and another ~100k waiting to be uploaded when this batch is done.

Hope this helps.

ETA: I found the thread; it's Radio Galaxy Zoo approaching 1 million.

My memory needs refreshing ðŸ˜Ķ ... there are (or were) only 174,821 "Subjects" (which is Zooniverse Development Team speak for 'images/fields' in our case). And only ~20k are 'active' (or were, back in November 2014). Still, I'd be pleasantly surprised if you've managed to classify ~20k images/fields already ... 😄

Posted

Hi @gavinrider & @JeanTate,

We shuffled the pack recently (for our superZooites who have done heaps of matches) so I do not think that you have completed the current set yet. However, from experience the queue server does sporadically get confused so I would suggest setting aside RGZ for the day if you encounter repeats and come back the next day with a restarted browser. Apologies for any inconvenience.

In terms of classification level, RGZ is still only 36% complete. Our current sample set is >177k objects. Assuming our current rate of matches, we will still need 2-3 years to complete this. So that is why my suspicion lies on the queue server having a hiccup.

I hope that this does not happen more in future but please do bring it up when it does happen again as we are keeping an eye on its reliability... Thanks again! 😃

Posted

• gavinrider by gavinrider in response to ivywong's comment.

Ok, I'll get cracking again then!

Posted

• SatelliteBrat by SatelliteBrat

Dear Folks, I just joined and am not seeing any radio or IR images on which to click. I 'did the tutorial' version numerous times before signing up. Am I missing something? p.s. I grew up going to my Dad's satellite launches in the 60s and 70s - OGO and HEAO - this project is very cool and close to my heart. My son has been raised "knowing Grandpa is looking at the same constellations we are... just from Heaven". thx.

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin in response to gavinrider's comment.

No worries @gavinrider. Steady as she goes. 😃

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin in response to SatelliteBrat's comment.

Dear @SatelliteBrat,

Welcome to Radio Galaxy Zoo and thanks for your interest.

Just to make sure that everything is up to date, do you mind updating your web browser to the latest version? For example, if you're using Firefox, you can click on the "About Firefox" to find out which version you're using and it should automatically check for updates.

If everything is up-to-date, you should be able to see the first classification question, which is "Click on any radio contour". You should be able to see the subject (the square 3arcminute by 3arcminute patch of sky) with the sliding tool (that slides between the radio & IR image) and some contours over the radio source. Just hover on top of those contours with your mouse and you should be able to click on them. If you do not see the contours, try clicking on the round button to the top right of the subject, this is the button that toggles the contours on and off.

Does this help?

cheers,
    Ivy

Posted

• DZM by DZM Zooniverse Team in response to SatelliteBrat's comment.

Just as an addition to @ivywong 's comment, if updating your browser changes nothing, please also try using a different browser, and see if that fixes anything for you?

Thanks!!

Posted

• sisifolibre by sisifolibre

I'm sure that I see sets repeated twice, for example http://radiotalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/subjects/ARG000105w

I'm not talking about diferent radio components around the same host or similar like @42jkb explains here

I am sure because they are objects that have called my attention, and I have commented or collected them, so when they appear me again in the window of classification and I use the link 'discuss' my own first classifications appear. On the other hand I understand that each of the different components of radio appear in the center of the window of classification, and I am sure enough that I see these components repeated in the center of the image. Other times are compact sources, then it can not to be a diferent radio component.

I believe that the frequency with which they are repeated is about 1 set every 300 classifications, it is possible that less because only I recognize those who are more spectacular or I have already comented or collected. It is little but wanted notice it.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

#repeat is a hashtag that's been used for this sort of thing (e.g. ARG0001wbi). If it is indeed a repeat, it signals a (possibly serious) problem ... we had quite a few of these in the early days, and it took a while for them to be understood, and for code to be tweaked to fix it (repeats are DEFINITELY not supposed to happen)

Posted

I have repeated ARG000105w yesterday and ARG0001fi4 only 98 clasiffications later

Posted

ARG000105w is my 12110 classification, found by second time 24 oct 2015

ARG0001fi4 12202, 25 oct

ARG0002vih 12384, 26 oct

Posted

Thanks for reporting this, @sisifolibre.

I'm finding odd results on all three objects you reported; I don't see any classifications from you on any of those, although I do see your comments on Talk. I wonder if there was an issue with your login for those particular subjects, which is why you saw repeats?

Posted

Thanks for your attention @KWillett.

I don't know, I am all the time logged, I don't sign out of RGZ or Zoouniverse 1 month ago approx. and firefox or RGZ never notice me about any problem. I always go from a marker to the "talk" page to see what's new, then go to "return to classifying" and I always classify the sets loged. The only thing I have changed sometimes is the language.

One month ago I entered here with another computer, and maybe I entered with a mobile too, I donÂīt remember it. But since then I have only logged with my PC. I will check them to close my account in them if it is still opened. I will try "restarting" my loggin here too.

But, if it's a login problem I do not understand why they do not count like classified by me if I can see how they have added in my total number of clasifications in "zoouniverse profile/your stats". On the other hand also it seems strange that in my zoouniverse profile does not appear anything on 'recent comments', 'favorites' or 'collections', but I thought that this would be normal.

These three objects are in my collections since the moment that I look at them. Can you see if the other sets in my collections have any classifications from my? for example objects from my collection called "#star" (like this one), all of them must have classifications from me, because the only way I can collect sets whithout comments is classifying them first.

Posted

Hi sisifolibre - we have loads of recorded contributions from you (thank you!!) - over 10,000 so far, so you're certainly logged in and a prolific contributor to RGZ. There are only a handful of subjects (~20) that you showed duplicate classifications for - as I said, I'm not sure why that's the case, as the system isn't meant to show you the same object more than once.

I've looked at a couple randomly-selected objects in your collections, and the classification has always been recorded.

We've tried several times to look into and correct this, but it does still occasionally happen. If it's happening much less than 1% of the time (I've gotten that by analyzing the data from many users), I think that's low enough that we're not concerned about it affecting the accuracy of the project and, importantly, that it's not significantly wasting your time as volunteers. If you see a particular subject appear again that you've gotten before, you can refresh the browser to get a new subject. Our data pipeline does deal with the duplicates (we use the first time it was classified), but all of them are still recorded and should give us some valuable data on how well citizen scientists do at repeating their behavior.

If it starts happening significantly more often, or if anyone notices odd behavior, please continue to report it here and we'll investigate. Again, our apologies for the rare glitches.

Posted

Hi @KWillett. I report the problem because it seemed to me that it was happening more often but I agree that this issue is happening less than 1% and it is not significant. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to participate.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

graham d seems to have had ARG00031c1 to classify three times now! ðŸ˜Ū

Posted

Four months apart on each?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

ARG00005c1 is a #repeat, for me, 21 days between instances.

Posted

Thanks @JeanTate for the note.

Posted

• Gweilouk by Gweilouk

Image ARG0003o40 When trying to mark the IR sources the mark appeared something like 20mm below the point at which I clicked the image. tried resetting... same thing.

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin in response to Gweilouk's comment.

Thanks Gweilouk. I will lodge this report with our support team. In the meantime, could you make sure that your web browser is operating under its latest version? Sometimes these issues crop up with older versions of web browsers.

Posted

• Gweilouk by Gweilouk

Hi Ivy,

I'm on the latest version of Chrome running on an patched up to date version of OS/x Mountain Lion. The issue seemed to go after a reboot so I wonder if it was a caching issue on the Browser...

Paul

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

ARG0003dxr is another repeat for me.

51 days between instances.

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin in response to Gweilouk's comment.

Glad that it works again for you.

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin in response to JeanTate's comment.

Thanks Jean.

Posted

• A13_23_ by A13_23_

Does every account look at a specific area in the sky?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to A13_23_'s comment.

No one's tried to answer you so far, so let me have a go.

Does every account look at a specific area in the sky?

No. Each of us "Subjects" (as we volunteers/zooites are called by Zooniverse central) is given images to classify entirely at random ... from those "Objects" (as the images/fields served up are called) which have not yet reached the target number of independent classifications (and excluding those which you have already classified).

That's my understanding anyway; perhaps who actually knows how this works will drop by and say a few words ...

Hope this helps.

Posted

@A13_23_,

Apologies for seeing this a few days late and thanks Jean for picking it up.

@JeanTate is correct, each field (known as a "subject") is shown at random to you once so we do not assign patches of skies to individual participants. We call our participants Zooites and if you start hanging out on this forum, we start calling you a SuperZooite 😃

Hope this helps,
    Ivy

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

I can't sign in to RGZ! ðŸ˜Ķ

I started a thread over in Z Talk, Radio Galaxy Zoo: cannot sign in. No response (yet).

Posted

I have same problem

Posted

• ChrisMolloy by ChrisMolloy

I've got the same problem also.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Would someone please reply to Adam, in the Z Talk thread (link in my post; I can't reply, just now)?

Posted

• A13_23_ by A13_23_

I can sign in now, try it again
    But I can't see the image's data (First, it was under the image, but now, it was "under" the image)

Posted

• A13_23_ by A13_23_

čŦ‹å•č§€æļŽé›ŧæģĒč·Ÿč§€æļŽįī…åĪ–į·šįš„æœ›é éĄįš„重į–ŠįŊ„圍æ˜Ŋå“ŠčĢĄ?

Posted

• astopy by astopy

Sorry all. We've made some changes today and yesterday that should have fixed these issues. Is anyone still having problems?

Posted

Related to those, the contours may not be showing up in Talk right now (although the classification site should still work). We're working on fixing that as soon as possible.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to astopy's comment.

Yes. Me.

I wrote it - my problems - in the Z Talk thread I'd created a couple of days' ago.

Posted

Hello again A13_23_

Google Translate gives me this English text for what you wrote in Chinese:

Will radio observations with infrared telescopes observing overlapping ranges where?

I don't really understand this, so this explanation may not be appropriate (please let me know):

The IR data in any RGZ image is from with WISE satellite/telescope, and the radio data from the FIRST survey, which used the VLA (in New Mexico, USA) radio interferometer. The two sets of data were obtained quite independently.

In creating the image we see - combining the IR data, the radio data, and radio contours - the Science Team made sure that the positions on the sky, of the centers of each image, are the same. They are able to do this because both the WISE and FIRST data has been very carefully calibrated, and tied to a long-accepted, standard astronomical grid (the 'in the sky' equivalent to longitude and latitude, I think it's called ICRS, but may be FK5).

The radio contours may sometimes appear to be offset from the radio data, by up to ~five pixels. This is an artifact of the way those contours are derived, from the FIRST data.

Hope this helps, and happy hunting! 😃

Posted

• KWillett by KWillett scientist, admin, translator in response to KWillett's comment.

The contours should be showing up correctly in Talk now.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to KWillett's comment.

They are for me ...

Posted

• A13_23_ by A13_23_

I still don't understand, but this time, I'll use English
    My question is:where do those images in Radio Galaxy Zoo from?Where are them in the sky, or, are they in the range that both
    infrared ray and radio telescope look at?

Posted

• DocR by DocR scientist

Yes, two different telescopes. WISE (infrared) covers the whole sky from a satellite (http://wise.ssl.berkeley.edu/). The FIRST survey (radio) covers mostly the northern hemisphere, conducted from Very Large Array in New Mexico. So if we start with radio images from FIRST, we can always find that piece of the sky in the infrared.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to JeanTate's comment.

ARG0002roc is yet another repeat for me, 26 days from the last repeat, and 78 days between being offered this field for the first and second time.

Posted

I am making a collection whith all the subjects that I have seen repeated for sure: https://radiotalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/collections/CRGS00019t

But after to make this collection (link) testing how much repeated subjects I find while classifing 1000 subjects, I am almost sure that I have repeated around 1-2 % of the subjects.

Posted

Again! ðŸ˜Ķ

ARG000069i is a repeat, only eight days from the last repeat, and 86 days between being offered this field for the first and second times.

Posted

Hi @JeanTate, this is bizzarre that this issue is cropping up again. Thanks for the heads-up and your patience. I'll ask around our gurus.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ivywong's comment.

Thanks Ivy.

The rate of repeats is likely greater than what I report, because I do not write a Comment (etc) on every field I classify, and it's only when I notice that I've written a Comment earlier that I can be sure it's a #repeat.

It sure would be nice to have this bug squashed!

Posted

The main classification page seems not to work now, I have tried with firefox and chrome, but the classification images don't appear. TIt have happened to me in the last 3 or 4 days that this issue appear during a few minutes and then it seems "solved" by his own, but now is during for more time.

Posted

seems that the problem happend when I make a few classifications, the page is blocked and the images don't appear. I have tried restarting the navigator and the page, but dosn't work. Only if I wait a few minutes it seems to work again, but I can make only 2 or 3 classifications before the page broke again

Posted

This is how my browser show the main page after a 15-20 classifications. Then the problem is the same that I have explained in previous post. But seems that the problem is not only in my computer, I have try it in other computer and I have the same problem. May be only in my account?

enter image description here

Posted

• A13_23_ by A13_23_

How can I know the name of the galaxy in the image?

Posted

A very good question, A13_23_! 😃

One that is surely of interest to many of us. As I think the answer will get lost here, in the Bug Reports Here thread, I started a new one, devoted to this question: How to find the name of the (host) galaxy, in an image?

Looking forward to an interesting discussion.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to sisifolibre's comment.

I have tried to reproduce this myself, sisifolibre, but so far have not succeeded ðŸ˜Ķ

I did report it in Z Talk, here, but so far there's been no response (and I find both the GZ Talk and RGZ Talk pages still slow to load).

Posted

Thanks Jean, I have done now 30-40 classifications and the problem doesn't happened now, I don't know why because I haven't changed anything in my comuter, in my laptop, or in my account. Tomorrow I will try to make more classifications (I usually make more than 150 classifications in a session) to see if the problem continues or is definitely solved.

In other hand, I appreciated the same that you, the pages in RGZ talk seems to load slowly than a week ago (may be more).

Posted

After ~300 classifications I would say that the problem has been solved. Furthermore, in these 300 classifications I haven't seen any #repeated subject!

Posted

Again, the same problem ðŸ˜Ķ

Posted

After 239 classifications since my last post, I have the same error. Now I can't classify, I suppose that in a day or two I will be able to classify again. This is a capture of the same problem in my laptop:

Posted

Apologies @sisifolibre. I've logged a bug report so hopefully it'll be back to normal soon. I assume that they may have been an update which did not agree with the system

Posted

Thank you very much for your attention @ivywong

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Search not working?

ARG00038i2 is tagged #SDRAGN, but when you click on the sdragn link - top right, under tags - you get a Search result, with 27 results ... none of which are ARG00038i2! ðŸ˜Ū

Can someone look into this please, ASAP?

ETA: I just created the SDRAGN tag group; it has 61 unique ARG IDs.

Posted

• Ptd by Ptd

I'm getting what appears to be the same object, twice, with two different though similar image numbers

https://radiotalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/subjects/ARG0001h9r

https://radiotalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/subjects/ARG0001h9g

I've suspected it before, but this object is so distinctive I was sure of it. Was this deliberate or is it a glitch?

MT

Ptd

Posted

HI @Ptd,

This is not really a glitch. Each peak in the image is separated out automatically as an individual radio component. Because no one has looked at each of these images before, we do not have any prior knowledge if these peaks are associated with a larger structure or not so you will see repeats where the subjects are centred on different radio components of the same radio galaxy.

Does this make sense?

cheers,
    Ivy

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin in response to sisifolibre's comment.

Hi @sisifolibre, I just heard back from the tech crew and they think that if your browser is completely up-to-date, you may have completed all the classifications for the current batch of subjects so would it be possible if you come back in a week's time and check if this is still happening?

Thanks,
    Ivy

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin in response to sisifolibre's comment.

Hi @JeanTate, the search function has not worked well and this is a recurring problem. Unfortunately we are not able to fix this so the main candidate list is what we get from the radiotalk thread on #sdragn. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Posted

• Ptd by Ptd in response to ivywong's comment.

Hi @ivywong

Yes makes sense, and MT for explanation, I thought it might be something like that, but just thought I'd check

KR
    Ptd

Posted

• sisifolibre by sisifolibre in response to ivywong's comment.

Hi @ivywong, I have chrome and firefox competely up-to-date, in my PC with windows 7 and in my laptop with windows 10. That issue is happening to me since a month ago (you can read previous post to see screenshots). When I wait 3-5 days I can make ~200 new classifications before the classification window is blocked again.

May be I have completed all the classifications for the current batch, but then, why I can make these limited number of classifications?. Why can I see comments of 2 years ago in my new classifications?. Why I see in the coments curious subjects (that I would have colected) which I don't think to have classified? I guess that is related with how the database works (and how my mind works 😛) but seem strange to me 😃

Well I will be patient and I will wait a week or two before continue. Thanks for all

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ivywong's comment.

Thanks @ivywong.

That's disappointing to hear. Perhaps the Search button could be disabled, or when it's clicked on you get a message that it will not work reliably?

Other than by creating hashtag groups, is there any way that you know of to find all the ARG fields with a particular tag (or word)? Are there solutions external to RGZ, involving datascraping tools perhaps (e.g. based on JSON)?

Posted

Again! ðŸ˜Ķ

ARG0003j2f is a repeat, 34 days from the last repeat, and 112 days between being offered this field for the first and second times.

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin in response to JeanTate's comment.

Hi @JeanTate,

Unfortunately, I do not know of any external tool to do this search at the moment. I am currently learning the pipeline from Kyle so if I know more, I'll let you know.

Hang in there.

Ivy

Posted

• Ptd by Ptd

I've just had this object for the second time https://radiotalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/subjects/ARG0002c1o

Posted

The Search function is not working, again.

Worse, you can't even find what's in a hashtag group any more either (or so it seems) ðŸ˜Ķ

ETA: Actually, hashtag groups still seem to be working (or maybe just began working again?)

Posted

• silkenpaw by silkenpaw

In Firefox 49.0.2, I'm not seeing the red Cancel/Reset buttons at the bottom left. My OS is Mac Siera 10.12.1. The buttons show in Chrome. Any other info you need, let me know.

Posted

Apologies again about the flakiness of the search/hashtag system that we have here. We will try = to do better in the next generation of RGZ. Thanks for your patience.

Posted

It's me or there are problems with the diferent servers?
    NVSS give me error 500 lately, and FIRST don't charge well, even SDSS seem's don't work sometimes. Aladin give me error too, when I try to load FIRST cutouts.

Anyone have the same problems?

Posted

Not just you. NVSS gives me an error; FIRST takes forever then I get an error. I have no difficulty with SDSS however.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

NVSS is now working for me, but FIRST is not. SDSS is sometimes a bit slow, but otherwise OK.

Posted

Just talked with Rick White (the White from FIRST). The FIRST image server is not working and they are currently looking into solving this.

Posted

Thanks. The links here to FIRST now seems to work, but Aladin send me the same error: "java.lang.exception:Data format not recogniced". This is because the image server?

Posted

Yes, so I'm at a meeting right now and all the meeting participants are working on the various systems. They went down for a while and should be back up within a day.

Posted

Still don't work the FIRST image server in my Aladin, any ideas?

Posted

Maybe too late, but perhaps send a note to the help desk at Aladin? I've found them to be helpful.

Posted

• sisifolibre by sisifolibre in response to JeanTate's comment.

My dout is because despite the message of @42jkb I still don't know if it's only my problem or it is happening to all users of Aladin. But any case I will do it, thanks Jean.

Posted

Hi @sisifolibre, I just checked and it seems to be working again. Sorry for the inconvenience and instability. Thanks for the heads-up again.

Posted

@ivywong despite your message, the "FIRST image cutouts" tool from the Aladin desktop still didn't work (perhaps I did'd explainded well or I dindn't underestand well your words). Because this I wrote to the support of Aladin to know if the problem was only mine, and they seen the problem in the program after some kind messages.
    Finally I have received this from the Aladin team:

"The http to https redirection seems to be not correctly taken into account by Aladin. I just changed the URL template directly in the Aladin yellow page mechanism"

Now, the last version of Aladin Desktop is working fine with the "FIRST image cutouts" server, and we can return to make overlays with Aladin!
    Thank you @JeanTate for your advice.

Posted

@sisifolibre: glad that everything is working fine again.

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

Any advice how to fix FIRST cut out service in SAO DS9 v7.2.1?

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin in response to Dolorous_Edd's comment.

They have changed the FIRST server. The only thing I could get to work is the SkyView server: https://skyview.gsfc.nasa.gov/current/cgi/query.pl

For a batch job, use:

url = "https://skyview.gsfc.nasa.gov/current/cgi/runquery.pl?Survey=first&position=" +
    str(ra) + "," + str(dec) + "&Pixels=" + str(pixels) + "&Size=" + str(imgsize) + "&Return=FITS"

This is a python line, can send you the code if needed.

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

SkyView is fine, but I lookfor a way to fix DS9

I was able to find where DS9 stores a code which it uses to generate query, but don't know what changes should I make

Maybe they fixed it in the recent version, but they don't offer win installer for the new version

Nor the explanation how to compile it frome source code file under Win

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin in response to Dolorous_Edd's comment.

No idea. I just sent them an email to find out.

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin in response to 42jkb's comment.

The response I got from SAO is:

Please download the new beta version, 7.6b1. This is one of the issues
    addressed.

Let me know if that doesn't help.

Posted

Since some days ago, search page don't work to me, when I introduce a number or word the page stucks and don't offer results or error mensage.

Posted

Is it still happening? If so, I can report it, and maybe get it back.

Search here in RGZ Talk is, in my experience, unreliable, even when it is working.

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian in response to JeanTate's comment.

I also noticed, that "Search" didn't work, but now it works again!

Posted

Sorry for my late response, I was traveling

Yes, seems that "search" work again, but if before the issue it didn't works well, now is baffling.

If I make copy-paste from, for example, the comment of subjec ARG0002gpu "J141050.83+181325.3" and use "Search" it show me 0 results. But if I do the same with "J155842.42+310240.0" from ARG0001o08, "Search" show me the correct commented subjec. What is the difference?

"Search" is important in the work with SDRAGN, hybrids, giants... When I find a candidate I make a search if it has been noticed before, to see if it must be in the convenient forum thread or paste a link in the comments and save time for other volunteers. I don't want to put repeated candidates for each subject in the same thread, and I'm not going to revise all a thread to search visually if a subject have been posted before.

@JeanTate, what tool you use to make this kind of searchs? can you give me a link or similar?

Thanks!

Posted

Sorry and thanks all for your patience. Yes, the "search" function is not very reliable on this Talk forum. My apologies again.

Posted

Re RGZ Talk's Search not working, my advice: try again in an hour or so, and if it's still not working post here, or send me a PM. Yes, it rather too often seems to go down, and even when it's up, doesn't always work well.

@JeanTate, what tool you use to make this kind of searchs? can you give me a link or similar?

I no longer use this site's Search for anything important (with one exception, see below). I have tried using various versions of Google, with mixed results. For the kind of "has someone already noticed this?" RGZ search you mention, I try to find all relevant ARG fields, and look at each (easy to do, simply replace the last four characters in any ARG URL; e.g. to find ARG00002po if you already have a tab/window open to https://radiotalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/subjects/ARG0001dc6, simply replace 1dc6 with 02po). After much trial and error, I now use TOPCAT to find all ARG fields within 4' (say) of my target position (happy to help with anything TOPCAT!).

The exception is finding ARG fields (and Talk posts) with a hashtag in it. Nearly always it's #sdragn (upper and lower case don't matter), and once I find a single Comment with that hashtag, I simply click on it to get everything here with that hashtag (via Search)! 😃

Hope this helps.

Posted

• sisifolibre by sisifolibre in response to JeanTate's comment.

Seems that still don't work well, but I think I have find something: seems that when a name of kind JXXXX+XXXX (for example J090412.11+283613.0) have been mentioned in forum 1 time, the search tool can't find it, but when the name JXXXX+XXXX have been writen more that once anywere in the forum, then the search tool can find it.

For example, I made the next test with subject ARG0002i7r, where @leonie_van_vliet have write "J123034.09+173431.3". Initialy if I search "J123034.09+173431.3", I have no results. But when I write "J123034.09+173431.3 test", then the search tool show me a result finding my comment, even If I erase my comment! ( I do that before to write this post)

I have been testing this with different subjects with months of diference and seems to happen the same. Thinking about it, I think that perhaps @DolorousEdd know this and this is the reason because he used to repeat the J name in some cases...

I no longer use this site's Search for anything important (with one
    exception, see below). I have tried using various versions of Google,
    with mixed results. For the kind of "has someone already noticed
    this?" RGZ search you mention, I try to find all relevant ARG fields,
    and look at each (easy to do, simply replace the last four characters
    in any ARG URL; e.g. to find ARG00002po if you already have a
    tab/window open to
    https://radiotalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/subjects/ARG0001dc6, simply replace
    1dc6 with 02po). After much trial and error, I now use TOPCAT to find
    all ARG fields within 4' (say) of my target position (happy to help
    with anything TOPCAT!).

Searching in the whole ARG fields can't fail, but it's a little harder. I will try to learn TOPCAT if I finaly need it.

Posted

That's an interesting work-around! 😃 I've not tried it myself, maybe one day ...

Searching in the whole ARG fields can't fail, but it's a little harder. I will try to learn TOPCAT if I finaly need it.

Indeed. TOPCAT is very cool, and not too hard to learn how to use. Holler if you'd like help.

Posted

Yes, I use topcat too for getting overviews of large data tables and simple (in-)sanity checks for the catalogue.

Posted