Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Is there any value to you of me just marking the images, without choosing hash-tags?

• HelPer2 by HelPer2

I find myself marking images and having no real clue of which is the most appropriate hash-tag to use to describe what's going on. Is it useful to you if I just mark without a hash-tag, or should I make a wild guess each of these times? I do read and re-read "Suggested hash-tags" by vrooje but sometimes just can't decide.

Posted

• lamperti by lamperti

Like other Zoo projects, I assume our clicks are scientifically useful. Taking time to make hastags is just that: time consuming, meaning fewer clicks for data collection. Given my druthers, I'd rather click away.

Posted

• KWillett by KWillett scientist, admin, translator

Both clicks and hashtags are useful. We believe we can accomplish our main science goals by using the clicks alone - however, we hope to refine and improve the reduction process using the hashtags. As an example, in the Galaxy Zoo CANDELS data, we used volunteers' hashtags (such as #fhb, or #fainthubbleblob) to identify and remove a large number of galaxies that didn't have enough detail to continue keeping on the site. By using the hashtags on RGZ, these can serve as calibrations for the group classifications, since you're not explicitly asked about the shape when doing your clicks.

In addition, we hope that the hashtags promote discussion/learning and allow users to explore their own research.

If you'd prefer to just do the clicks, that's absolutely fine - they're usually the main product that goes into our published research. But for those interested/willing to discuss galaxies in more detail, we hope you'll hashtag while doing so. Thanks!

Posted

• dosey by dosey

Help! There was one image I saw that had two multi-ringed points with ir behind them but there was also a dot, not a ring, that I wanted to mark in the same way but the image wouldn't take my click because it wasn't a ring. I wanted to also mark that image because the pair that included that dot looked as if it was a #lens from behind another object. I have only just started this and was not astute enough to mark it. Can I see it as a "recent image"?

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin in response to dosey's comment.

I'm not sure if you can see the images you have marked. I'll have to ask the developers. That object sounds like a very interesting one. Another option is to mark the images as favourites and then you can go back to look at them that way.

Posted