Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Given coordinates, or a FIRST ID, how to find the ARG ID(s), if there is one?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

The forward part is easy; for example, Image ARG0002znm contains this text, underneath the slider:

Survey Id: FIRSTJ125604.3+110010      RA: 194.018      Dec: 11.003

What about the reverse? What if I know the coordinates (RA: 194.018, Dec: 11.003) and/or the FIRST ID (J125604.3+110010 - which is, of course, ~the coordinates in Sexagesimal) and want to find ARG0002znm (and any other ARG images/fields which include FIRSTJ125604.3+110010)?

Can that be done, by an ordinary zooite? Or is it something only a SCIENTIST can do?

One motivation for this question is the excellent thread started by super-zooite, Dolorous Edd, SDSS J163657.20+214009.1 (the title is somewhat misleading) ... it contains NVSS images of fields he found while checking out RGZ targets. Some of these look extremely interesting (though I have no idea how excited a seasoned radio astronomer would get), and would love to know what other zooites wrote about them, what Collections they appear in, and so on.

Posted

• DocR by DocR scientist

Doing the reverse isn't available to most scientists, either. Database just isn't organized that way. In extenuating circumstances, the technical staff can probably locate. I'm already following the thread noted above by @JeanTate from @Dolorous Edd, and eventually will have to get the technical staff to check these out.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to DocR's comment.

Thanks.

Time to active my Plan B then ... 😉

Posted

• bumishness by bumishness admin

Not available by normal means to developers either. Only way we can get at the ARG id from the Survey ID is to query the database directly. There is no correlation between them. The ARG id is a base 36 auto-incrementing ID for all the subjects in a project. Just gives us a somewhat nice identifier rather than relying on the raw database ID.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to bumishness's comment.

Thanks.

My Plan B worked sufficiently well for the purpose I intended. And it's likely a method that could be pretty easily generalized so that if a particular FIRST source is among the ARG IDs, then it could be found within seconds (perhaps not with 100% reliability though).

As I said in another thread (sorry, too busy with things to do with the GZ forum being closed to give a link), I'd be more than happy to share my method with any zooite who's interested, in as much (or little) detail as they'd like.

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

The solution is described by Jean in below discussion.:

I have a position, how do I find which ARG fields contain it (if any)?
    http://radiotalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BRG0000003/discussions/DRG0000cud

Posted