Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Search no longer works?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

I just tried to find posts (etc) in which the words "quench" and "quenched" have been used; Search confidently told me there are "0 Results".

Which is total nonsense; for example, the thread ARG0000hga - the "missing link" disk galaxy! Magic word: "quenched" contains one of the words in its title, and in many of the posts; the other word is also not shy.

Can this be fixed, quickly, please?

Posted

• DZM by DZM Zooniverse Team

Yes, it is nonsense; I completely agree. Unfortunately, the search function on this version of Talk has never worked properly, and is wildly inconsistent... it may return two different things for the same search on two different days. 😦

I'm sorry about that. It's a huge annoyance to me, and I know it much be far worse for you all, but there's not much that we can do in the short term. As I understand it, the shoddiness of this search is a function of how this Talk was a quick build that was pieced together from a few different systems, and it's not really "reparable."

We're focusing our energy on making sure that the next Talk (which will be attached to a new project platform... Snapshot Supernova was the first test of that platform, although still very much a work in progress, and the discussion area had zero relevance to the actual new Talk) has a full "one-to-one" text search that works exactly as everyone needs it to. We're getting close to a point where we will have some simple skeletons of this Talk to show people and get some feedback...

I know it seems like it's taking a while on that new Talk, but the back-end work is pretty much done, and now the focus is on making it look and function like a place that people want to spend their Internet time... we're going to user-test the heck out of this, iterate on it, and make sure that I never again have to write posts like this one once we wheel it out!

Posted