Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

may be a video tutorial o video help from advanced volunteers??

• sisifolibre by sisifolibre

hello sorry for my english

i think this is one of the most interesting project in zoouniverse, but i think is one of the most dificult too for amateur fans of astronomy less advanced

i have read a lot in all the forum and after asking sometimes I think I have a better idea, but I get the impression that I do badly, and I do not dare to work on this project whithout more preparation or training, and i think that there are more people that is in my same situation

for example In screenshots I see out there I never see the yellow suggesting the source of infrared... in the talk section of this project i can't see what IR sources have indicated the volunteers, and I think this should be to improve the work of volunteers

in the meanwhile something that I think would help a lot may be captured video which a lot of examples of how it works. It can be easy whith free programs and webs. this assistance can be made part of the Administrators or Power volunteers, and can help to make better the work of this project.
    Here there are free software sure and easy to use: http://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/index.html

Here I give you an example made and hung in 15 minutes whith no idea about video edition or somthing else, the quality is bad but is easy to make it better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IabR-cB8ufE&feature=youtu.be

EDIT:
    Reading the comments I'm not doing so bad... I hope this help.
    There are a lot of info in all the forum but I recomend to begin reading the next thread, specially pages 1,3 and 4.:
    http://radiotalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BRG0000001/discussions/DRG000000d
    This link may be will help too: http://blog.galaxyzoo.org/2014/02/03/the-curious-lives-of-radio-galaxies-part-one/

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

Hi sisifolibre

but I get the impression that I do badly

After watching your video I can say that you are doing very well, but in any case don't worry about mistakes because each image is reviewed by multiple volunteers and any mistake (if any) will be corrected by others

Really, don't worry about mistakes just give your best guess

in the talk section of this project i can't see what IR sources have indicated the volunteers, and I think this should be to improve the work of volunteers

Design choice I am afraid, so that ours classifications won't be biased by others

It is all about "crowd wisdom" anyway and not about a single user performing better than others

And few words about this topic

IR Maps they are using there (from the looks of it ) came from the Spitzer telescope they have faaaar better resolution than IR maps from WISE which we are currently dealing with, so don't worry about being unable to pinpoint the IR source of radio emission

Posted

Edd thanks for your encouragement! Coming from you what you tell me is enough to continue working on this project 😃

I try to make it as well as possible and that's why I am writing here, thougt I suppose what i say here won't have little influence on Radio Galaxy Zoo

I have read http://blog.galaxyzoo.org/2015/07/28/first-radio-galaxy-zoo-paper-has-been-accepted/ that "For images in Which there is> 75% consensus Among the Radio Galaxy Zoo cross-identifications, the project Participants galaxies are as effective as the science experts at Identifying the host ". But I have some impression of that 75% is the easiest image sets, and that we can do better whit the "identification of rare and extreme radio structures".http://arxiv.org/abs/1507.07272

I think I understand the concept of "crowd wisdom" that is to be applied here, but I still think it could improve the training of volunteers to matching this rare and extreme radio structures whith the appropriate IR sources.
    I think this could be achieved for example whith a longer tutorial, indicating the IR sources in the guide of the observer (and making this more visible), or some video tutorial as you can see in other projects, such as this:
    http://talk.asteroidzoo.org/#/boards/BAZ0000001/discussions/DAZ00003be

but hey, may be i am wrong and the results obtained by the volunteers are sufficient for this project ... 😉

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

I agree with Dolorous Edd (DE), sisifolibre; based on what I think I could see in your video (it wasn't always easy to see what you were doing; field was too small), you have been classifying the radio sources, and their likely hosts, very well indeed. Also, to second what DE said, it's not about any particular zooite/volunteer getting every object/source "correct", it's 'wisdom of the crowd' (besides, in many of the complicated sources, the only way to find the 'correct' identification is to take higher resolution and/or deeper radio observations).

That said, I do agree with you that it's time the tutorial is revised, to use more typical examples of the various sources (including quite asymmetric #doublelobes), to add more types (including rare ones, such as #x-shaped), and to point out that some sources cannot be accurately classified based on the images we are given (this is especially true for sources where a lobe, say, is not even in the field; almost all those marked #giant are like this, I think).

I think a longer tutorial - or perhaps two, one for 'everyone', and one for 'seasoned zooites' - would help keep zooites' enthusiasm high, and encourage more to look more carefully at the complicated/confusing sources we sometimes get to classify.

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

Hi @sisifolibre, @dolorous_edd & @JeanTate,

Thanks heaps for checking out and helping us out with RGZ and talking to us on RadioTalk.

It is quite difficult to pitch the level of the tutorial because we are trying to be very succinct (to not be too boring or overload our participants with information) and providing enough information for you to give this project a shot.

What you're doing looks great! So please keep up the good work and doing your best at the matches. There will be a few cases where even experts will not be able to classify accurately without further observations so please do not let these sources bother you too much.

Also, if you find a source confusing and would like to seek more opinions from the other participants, please click "Discuss" and/or post on "RadioTalk" your findings. We'll be more than happy to examine a source with you. 😃

cheers,
    Ivy

ps/ In terms of improvement to the tutorial, we'll be sure to add more of the unusual sources that you mentioned in the next generation of RGZ. We have minimal development at this point because we are just past the halfway mark of the project and would like to work on finishing the project and writing up the science that all of you are helping us to pinpoint. Thanks heaps again!

Posted

• sisifolibre by sisifolibre in response to ivywong's comment.

thank you all, I now feel much more encouraged to work hard on this project.

I am glad that the possibility of improving the tutorial is contemplated, and more that there are plans for a next generation of RGZ!

As far of the tutorial, I firmly believe that the volunteer is much more dejected when he go to classify objects and finds something radically different from what he has seen in the tutorial that by the sight of something difficult in the tutorial. But i'm sure that the zoouniverse have more ideas that I about how motivate volunteers

At last, since it seems that I do not do so bad, if anyone with more knowledge isn't animated and do not mind the staff, i will try to make the video why I started this thread by myself

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

Hi sisifolibre,

Am glad that you are feeling more encouraged. To be honest, we didn't know how many odd sources there are in the project so we couldn't really say at the beginning what are the sort of common sources one would find. But from experience, most participants like yourself learn a whole heap once you immerse yourself into the project so I am very happy to hear that you're finding it not so bad.

If you think that you can help others like yourself with a video, please feel free to do so. Thanks again for your help.

Posted

I am Spanish, my English is poor and do not trust too much of automatic translations, so sorry if I gave the impression of being dissatisfied with the project! I am very happy and grateful to contribute to it in some way even very slight!

My discontent in any case was because i want to help more and better, and I think that seeing how classifies someone with more knowledge those objects which seem to me as difficult to classify, I could do better. Even I would like to learn to classify also using the different hashtags proposed here to help to attract attention on the objects that seem to me stranger ... something that is finding it hard to me to understand enough, but that I am learning little by little (or I believe that).

But the truth is that now i'm not so sure, although it sounds ridiculous after what you have written, I think it's better to spend more time to learn and classify that making a video which I'm not sure of its usefulness...

So sorry for making you lose a little time reading about my doubts and digressions. And yes, I'm actually learning a lot about astronomy and a lot of English too XD and I can say that Radio Galaxy zoo is a great motivation for it, thank you another time.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to sisifolibre's comment.

I think you are communicating in English quite satisfactorily; I wish I could communicate in Spanish as well as you do in English! 😃

My discontent in any case was because i want to help more and better, and I think that seeing how classifies someone with more knowledge those objects which seem to me as difficult to classify, I could do better. Even I would like to learn to classify also using the different hashtags proposed here to help to attract attention on the objects that seem to me stranger ...

A good way to do that is to start a Discussion thread on objects you find particularly hard to classify, or which you find particularly interesting. That way others - both ordinary zooites (like me) and professional radio astronomers - can comment and discuss. I myself have learned a lot by this method.

Happy hunting! 😄

Posted

I usually make comments to the objets and they can be seen taken a look at the "Recent Object Comments" section. I thought that this was sufficient to draw the attention on an object. And that if the object does not received more comments was because it is not really as interesting as i seemed.

In fact i'm learning a lot reading the comments that you and DE make to the objects in these section.

It seems to me that creating a thread with the objects that i see more strange is too much to ask, i prefer not to waste too much time to super zooites (like you), and the professional radio astronomers. Almost i would prefer to stay with the doubts and go solving what I can while i'm learning.

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin in response to sisifolibre's comment.

Hello sisifolibre,
    Please do not think of your comments as a waste of time. We are a small team of scientist with a lot of data to process so any help you can provide is always very much appreciated. If it does not take too much of your time, you can add what you think are strange objects to a "collection". Feel free to name is something like "strange and interesting objects". Reason is that we have a student who will check and inspect our participants' collections from time to time in order to identify strange radio galaxies so your work is certainly not wasted.

In exchange for you help, we try to help you learn more about the subject so the relationship in RadioTalk goes both ways as @JeanTate suggested.

Posted