Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

The SDSS ID of the images in Radio Galaxy Zoo

• A13_23_ by A13_23_

Does anyone know what does the SDSS ID means?Does it means the detec order?

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

The SDSS ID is just the identification bar code that belongs to a galaxy as given by the SDSS survey

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to A13_23_'s comment.

Here is a galaxy which I recently posted (in another thread); it's the host galaxy of the radio emission seen in the RGZ field ARG000174j:

enter image description here

Its SDSS name is SDSS J070745.36+391638.7. That name is made up of four parts:

• "SDSS": this is the name of the survey
    • "J": which is short for "J2000.0", which is the origin (or zero point) of the celestial coordinate system used to define its position on the sky
    • "070745.36": This is the Right Ascension (RA for short) of the galaxy, the celestial equivalent of longitude; it is given in hour-minute-second format
    • "+391638.7": its Declination (Dec), the celestial equivalent of latitude; it is given in degree-minute-second format

Hope this helps, and happy hunting! 😃

Posted

• turelli by turelli

Hi,
    I am a beginner. If I am viewing an image in Radio GZ, how can I go to the corresponding SDSS image?
    And back again?
    Thank you!

Posted

Welcome to RGZ @turelli! You'll have to click the "Discuss" button after you finish clicking on the radio contours and the IR host. Then you'll be brought to the forum to comment on the subject. Below the image of the subject on this forum page, you'll see a link to the SDSS image of the same field of view.
    Hope that this is helpful.

Posted

• turelli by turelli

Hi, Ivy
    it was really under my eyes 😃
    Fortunately I wrote I am a beginner.
    thank you very much

Posted

No worries @turelli. Happy to help!
    Ivy

Posted