Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

How to get fits Images of the data used in Radio Galaxy Zoo.

• vishnubk by vishnubk

Is it possible to get all the cutouts of the images used in radio galaxy zoo in fits format. I am aware of the FIRST cutout server but is all the data used in radio galaxy zoo available to download via some ftp link or so.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to vishnubk's comment.

Welcome to RGZ, vishnubk! 😃

Are you familiar with Banfield+ (2015)? I think that describes how the FIRST radio sources were selected for RGZ, so it should be possible to independently create a catalog of FIRST images which is very similar to the ARG fields displayed for us citizen scientists to classify. Ditto the WISE 'canvass'.

The radio contours are an RGZ 'value-add', though it should also be possible to produce something similar from the FIRST fits.

AFAIK, the RGZ database (the "Subjects") itself is not downloadable.

Hope this helps, and happy hunting!

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin

Yes, JeanTate is correct. All the info on the FIRST and WISE images are in the paper. We grab the radio images from the FIRST cutout server centred on the source position in the FIRST catalgoue. The WISE image is then pulled from the WISE server centred at the same position. We do not have the images available for download as they are all in the public domain and can be retrieved through those servers.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions. Always happy to help out.

Posted

• vishnubk by vishnubk in response to 42jkb's comment.

Thank you for the reply @JeamTate and @42jkb. I have two more questions.

1. Can you guide me as to how to download several fits images at once using the first and wise server. I have noticed that I can give an input file with RA and DEC but this returns an html output where I need to click on a link to download the fits file. Is there anyway to automate this procedure for both first and wise to download all images used in RGZ.

2. Are the classification results (preliminary or final) of the images used in RGZ available to download yet?

Thanks for your help! 😃

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to vishnubk's comment.

You are very welcome, @vishnubk! 😃

Re 1: I do not know, off the top of my head, how to download several FITS images at once, from the FIRST and WISE servers. I use SkyView to do that, via a Javascript tool (I can't find the link for this just now, sorry 😦). To download all 170+k RGZ pairs of cutouts would place a pretty big strain on the SkyView servers I think, and likely take quite a long time. If you go this route, you might like to try a small subset first.

Re 2: No, the RGZ classifications are not (as far as I know) yet available publicly.

Hope this helps, and happy hunting! 😃

Posted