Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Interesting arrangement

• pentaquark by pentaquark

In this shot (I don't think I can go between IR and radio images on the comments), there are three peaks, one small two large, all in line. At the center, of the the three peaks, beneath the smallest radio love, there is a strong IR source. However, underneath the two stronger peaks, there appears to be smaller, less bright, less correlated IR sources as well. I'm unsure if it is a single radio jet from the central IR source or three independent sources.

Posted

• KWillett by KWillett scientist, admin, translator

Yep - exactly. The chances of three radio sources lying in line like that are fairly small, and the fact that there's an IR source underneath the center lobe (with equal spacing) is a good sign. I think it's likely to be a classic long jet; the difficulty in identifying that central infrared galaxy is precisely why the automatic algorithms tend to fail at this particular type of image.

Posted

• vrooje by vrooje admin, scientist

Note: the wavelength sliders are still there, but they're attached to the object, not the discussion (a technical point we're trying to resolve). You can click the image to get to the sliders, but for now it takes you off this discussion page.

Posted

• stasmanian by stasmanian scientist

@pentaquark. You are exactly right. The central radio emission is much better correlated with IR than the two outer radio peaks. So it is a classical double-lobed radio structure, with a bright radio core in the centre. The equal spacing either side of the core confirms this as well. Because the two lobes are quite large, unrelated IR galaxies can appear associated with them in projection - but it's probably just a coincidence.

Posted