Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

What on earth is this thing?

• Jaymo1978 by Jaymo1978

Okay, this image doesn't show it, as it isn't an IR artifact. In the radio spectrum there is a contour which I can only describe as a "V." It isn't an enclosed loop, it's an angular shape which is open at the top. In this image, it would be located between the bright "semi-circle" at the top right of the image, and the fainter FULL circle which is just down and to the right of the semicircle.

As you can see, there is nothing between those objects which would produce a radio signal, much less of such an odd shape.

Also, I had the idea it might be a signal from something off the "edge" of this picture, but the ENDS of the V shape do not extend fully to the end of the image, they end about 1/8" from the top edge.

Any ideas?

Posted

• akapinska by akapinska scientist

@Jaymo1978 Since we can't see that source in full (we probably see less than half), I would not draw any conclusions about it. In fact I would ignore it in this image, and instead search image that covers that signal in full. One cannot say anything without that information; in fact it may be even just noise... But hey, I don't know because I can't see it!

Posted