Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

offset radio source

• WizardHowl by WizardHowl

good example of a #jet pair but the central radio emission seems offset from the IR source - is this common (or significant)? Or is it just a misalignment between the data sets?

Posted

• Jaymo1978 by Jaymo1978

This is a good question - I just asked this in the Help forum, because I've come across several which appear to be strong radio contours, but which are either in the middle of nowhere, or far offset from any nearby IR source. I think I might wait until I see an answer on mine before I classify anymore, so I don't accidentally mark something the wrong way.... 😃

Posted

• akapinska by akapinska scientist

@WizardHowl & @Jaymo1978: (1) The three radio contours are well aligned, (2) they have an infrared source somewhere in the middle of them, and (3) the two external sources point to the central radio/infrared. From all these three points you can be certain that this is one radio galaxy and you see two lobes and a core (or jet). I don't think the offset between the infrared and radio core is significant in this case. The core will be consisting of jets, and if one of the jets appear stronger on one side then you may see such offset. Note also that the lobes are not equally distant from the radio core/infrared source - this means that the radio galaxy is projected at some angle towards us

@Jaymo1978: not always offset is good, and in some cases the infrared and radio are different sources if they are too far from each other. I'll try to dig your post in help (with image you refer to) to make sure I give you right advice 😃

Posted