Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

fan-shaped extended radio source

• WizardHowl by WizardHowl

I marked this as if the fan-shaped radio emission were a lobe of radio emission associated with the more compact central source, which has a good match in both IR and radio. If it is, would it be a rare #onelobed source? Alternatively, I might have been wrong to do this and the extended emission might be a #plume from a separate very faint infra-red source, making this a #IFRS but in either case it seemed interesting enough to highlight.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

It's a #doublelobe, I think, but the host is hard to pick; maybe overlaid NVSS contours might help?

enter image description here

<enter image description here>

Boilerplate: SDSS image per http://skyservice.pha.jhu.edu/DR10/ImgCutout/getjpeg.aspx, FIRST contours derived from FITS file produced using SkyView with Python code described in this RGZ Talk thread. Image center per the ARG image (left; J2000).

Posted

• WizardHowl by WizardHowl in response to JeanTate's comment.

This is helpful, great work with the contours JeanTate! I think the most likely optical candidate for the host is SDSS J082333.58+112946.1 Z_ph~0.35-0.38. This galaxy does not have a red+dead appearance and is extended in shape, possibly a bit irregular but it's hard to be sure. There is a sign of a bright bulge or core. Tempting to consider it to be a spiral/disk candidate? I'll add it to my collection of non-QSO/ETG extended and non-red galaxy hosts.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to WizardHowl's comment.

You're most welcome, WizardHowl! 😃

Once you've seen what this looks like with an NVSS overlay (and maybe some zoomed-in FIRST ones too), and if it still looks good, I'd like to ask if you could suggest other Objects that have been written about, in Science Board or Chat section threads, which you think would benefit from these sorts of images.

Posted