Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

hybrid source?

• WizardHowl by WizardHowl

strong but asymmetric radio emission with the left #jet seemingly slightly bent and a larger #plume on the right. Could this be a #hybrid source?

Posted

• WizardHowl by WizardHowl

Had another look at this one and found the strong IR source to the left is actually a star, SDSS J072258.75+395832.7 and the NVSS and, more faintly, FIRST show a large #doublelobe of which this is the right hand and brightest lobe. The source galaxy is hard to track down and the only candidate that seems close is SDSS J072300.71+395839.7 which is a green-ish galaxy of uncertain morphology with photometric redshift ~0.3-0.35. This would then be a potential #giant candidate.

Posted

• akapinska by akapinska scientist

Hi @WizardHowl,

I'm just catching up on the hybrids candidates from RGZ (tens of objects!), and came across this one. You are right in your second thought. This is not a hybrid, but an #overedge #doublelobe. However, I do have problems with clean identification of its host, and there is absolutely nothing conclusive in SDSS! Have a look at the image/contour superposition (SDSS r band/ FIRST image+contours)

SDSS/FIRST

Sadly, no redshift estimates, but the source is approx. 3 armin in extent.

Posted

• WizardHowl by WizardHowl in response to akapinska's comment.

Hi @akapinska .

These overlays always look stunning and, especially for the larger sources, can be vital to tracking down a host. In this case, there is an extremely faint source in the SDSS that does not show up well in the SDSS r band, as it is not just faint but very red, and from this overlay it's about where there is an increase in the strength of the radio signal at the lower end of what is in your image the upper (West) lobe: SDSS J072259.62+395837.3. It is classed as a star but very distant galaxies near the limit of SDSS (z~0.6-0.7) can also look like this.

Like many doublelobes, it can be hard to trace the host and I suspect many will ultimately require further observations to resolve, however in this case, if SDSS J072259.62+395837.3 is the source, this would actually be a triple. Good luck with your follow-up!

Posted

• akapinska by akapinska scientist in response to WizardHowl's comment.

Oh yes, I totally agree with you. I was not really asking for explanation, rather showing it's not a hybrid.

And yes, the faint source you point to is fairly good bet for the host. For an active core of radio galaxy we should see its radio emission, but would need probably much higher radio resolution. That would pinpoint the host perfectly. Anyway, there's no extra archival data for this source.

Posted