Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Is this an FR I or an FR II source?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Also, why don't the contours include all the (obvious) radio emission?

And: the center of the main radio source seems offset from the center of the IR source (which is extended; perhaps an overlap?); is that offset likely to be real (and not a misalignment of the images)?

Posted

• DocR by DocR scientist

This is a beauty! Likely narrow angle tail , but enormous. WISE image is blend of two objects seen in SDSS, so that's why the radio is offset. NVSS shows that source is much longer than this. If photometric redshift of 0.268 is correct, it is 1.3 Mpc (over 4 million light years) long. See figure with SDSS, FIRST and NVSS (left to right).ARG00006do

Posted

• DocR by DocR scientist

Whoops, don't know what happened to image. Trying again. Not getting small version, so go directly to
    http://umn.edu/~larry/RGZ/ARG00006do.png
    ARG00006do, too big

Posted

• HAndernach by HAndernach scientist, translator

SDSS J142612.94+585401.6 is the "head" of this weardest HT I've seen, it even looks like a disk galaxy, and it is
    listed in NED as BrClG of GMBCG J216.55395+58.90047, z_phot=.262; the NE "tail" of the source is completely resolved out in FIRST;
    source appears in many surveys from VLSSr (74 MHz) to GB6 (4.9 GHz) and has a spectral index of -0.69, totally normal, one
    should check the spectral behaviour of the NE "tail" comparing WENSS and NVSS. From NVSS I obtain a size of ~4.5' or 1.05 Mpc for z=.267

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

@DocR, @HAndernach: Thanks guys.

Here's the DR10 version of SDSS J142612.94+585401.6:

enter image description here

A photometric redshift of ~0.27 seems about right, for its gri colors (to my zooite eyeball). Morphologically I'd've described it as 'disturbed elliptical, possibly interacting with its NW neighbor'; there are hints of (oddly-colored) structure in the outer parts, but these sorts of things are pretty common in DR10 images, so they may just be artifacts.

But is it an FR I? or an FR II? Or does it not fit either class?

How would you go about investigating this further, assuming you had unlimited access to all the world's observing facilities? What would seek to discover?

Posted