Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

SDSS J120339.20+275537.2 / ARG0001uiz - one-sided bright lobe/jet from an Eos?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

I commented on this, in response to a post by WizardHowl (in Chat/Objects).

Just in case that post does not catch the eye of a SCIENTIST, I'm repeating the main point here: the apparent optical source corresponding to the apparent core of this magnificent core+one-sided jet+giant lobe is SDSS J120339.20+275537.2, a yellowish galaxy with an elongated shape and pointy ends. Such a color plus morphology strongly suggests an edge-on (or nearly so) disk galaxy, but one with little on-going star-formation. Unfortunately, there's no GZ1 classification, and no spectrum; however, the photoz's are given as 0.175 ± 0.0307 and 0.155 ± 0.0556, entirely consistent with the visual color (in the SDSS image).

I cannot be 100% sure this galaxy is at exactly the same (RA, Dec) location as the centroid of 'core' radio object, but the optical and IR seem to coincide, to within an IR pixel or two.

This might be a very interesting object to follow up on: a disk galaxy with an apparent giant, one-sided lobe+jet.

Here's the optical image, zoomed in:

enter image description here

Posted

• DocR by DocR scientist

This is a beautiful, unusual source. There is another lobe to the lower left, seen in NVSS, but not in FIRST. But then, to the upper right (NW) is an orphaned source, no optical ID, and not clear who it belongs toenter image description here

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Written up in my GZ forum "Very Strange Spirals?" OOTD; specific post is here.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Combined NVSS and FIRST overlays on an SDSS image shows a strange separation of the FIRST and NVSS sources in the E lobe:

enter image description here

Most of the "W lobe" emission, both NVSS and FIRST, is likely the S lobe of a doublelobe, host either SDSS J120336.65+275639.1, or SDSS J120336.34+275654.0, as c_cld said.

<enter image description here>

Boilerplate: SDSS image per http://skyservice.pha.jhu.edu/DR10/ImgCutout/getjpeg.aspx, FIRST (red) contours derived from the FITS file produced using SkyView with Python code described in this RGZ Talk thread. Image center is the galaxy SDSS J120339.20+275537.2, near the center of the ARG image (ARG0001uiz; J2000.0). "z_ph" is an SDSS photometric redshift of the galaxy in the center.

Posted