Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

What sort of object is this?

• kodemunkey by kodemunkey

Should there not be a radio source on the 'top'end of this one?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to kodemunkey's comment.

This may be an #overedge #doublelobe, as antikodon noted ("19 days ago"). The top left source is likely a separate source.

Here's the FIRST field:

enter image description here

Posted

Do you have more information about this?

Posted

Me? Not much. There's no obvious IR core/host, and I don't know how to search radio catalogs.

It may be that the core/host is SDSS J145223.31+445535.7, which is likely a giant elliptical, z_ph ~0.72, which isn't even in NED.

Here's the SDSS field, centered on this faint, deep red blob:

enter image description here

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

Yes, the radio sky is quite a bit stranger than the optical sky. This is why I suspect that RGZ citizen scientists are making all these fantastic discoveries 😃

Apart from NED, another resource is Skyview (http://skyview.gsfc.nasa.gov/current/cgi/query.pl) where one can potentially go through lots of old catalogues and maps of the sky.

Posted

Thanks, i suppose i should go and do the more complex tutorial to learn about what to look for, or perhaps there's another resource than can explain things to me?

Posted

The Galaxy Zoo blog has a whole lot of very good posts, in the last few days/weeks! 😃

Once you've been through all of those, if you still have questions, by all means ask away here! I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I'm absolutely delighted to have a chance to explain stuff, to the best of my (ordinary zooite) understanding ...

Posted