Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

structure?

• basst82 by basst82

What structure would give rise to two strong infrared signals with a single relatively weak radio? Merging galaxies? Or is one galaxy in front of the other and only one is producing radio signal?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to basst82's comment.

In this case, the resolution of the IR is far too coarse (big?) to show that the "two strong infrared signals" are, in fact, quite distinct galaxies (I assume you're referencing the upper faint radio source). Here's SDSS, centered on the right (W) bright IR source (SDSS J170329.47+265427.7):

enter image description here

That galaxy has a BOSS spectrum; the estimated redshift is 0.400, and so it's likely a giant elliptical galaxy. The other strong IR source is the galaxy to its east, which does not have an SDSS spectrum, but its photometric redshift is, within the errors, the same. So, this is likely the center of a galaxy cluster, and one of the two giant ellipticals is radio active (but not very much).

Hope that helps.

Posted

• basst82 by basst82

So it's basically a "resolution" issue … hope you don't mind me bugging you with a bunch of posts, but I'm loving the information!

Posted