Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Triple!

• basst82 by basst82

Great double lobe, PLUS a radio signal right over the galaxy.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to basst82's comment.

Cool! 😃

The "radio signal right over the galaxy" is, as far as I can tell, SDSS J131234.73+111003.3, which the SDSS photometric pipeline thinks is a ~19 mag STAR. I think it will likely turn out to be an AGN, possibly a quasar (QSO) ...

You may well have found your first quasar; congratulations!! 😄

Posted

• basst82 by basst82

Woah, how cool is that! This citizen science thing is awesome … enough knowledge to be dangerous and still able to contribute!

Posted

• basst82 by basst82

So kind of a follow up to my other redshift question; I tried to explore the 4 links (SDSS seems to be the most "user friendly") and could not find anything that really gave an idea of how far this object is? Is there something I'm not seeing/understanding in the SDSS data or is distance not known for some of these objects?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to basst82's comment.

The redshift - usually written as z - is a good indicator of distance. Unless z is really small, say < 0.005, you can use the Hubble redshift-distance relationship to turn redshifts into a distance estimate (there's another caveat: in the center of rich clusters of galaxies, the redshift may give a misleading distance estimate; this is the 'Fingers of God' effect). Ned Wright's Cosmology Calculator is a very user-friendly way to get the various distance estimates from redshifts (don't forget that, per General Relativity, there's more than one 'distance'!).

Redshifts determined by (SDSS) spectroscopy are usually pretty good; estimates from photometry - 'photometric redshifts' or 'photoz' - are not as good, and sometimes may be almost useless. Distance estimated derived are accordingly good, or not.

In the SDSS webpage you get when you click links here, and then click on Explore (right panel), in the left panel down near the bottom is a link "NED Search". Clicking on that and you get a humongous amount of information. It took me quite a while to grasp what it is, and how to navigate around in it, but it's worth the investment of time to learn!

Hope this helps!

Posted