Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

could be all kinds

• basst82 by basst82

So, first thought was that this was a nice #bent #doublelobe ... only to look at IR and see #noinfrared where the central IR signature should have been ... only to come to the half and half mixed image and see that there's more to the radio signal and perhaps its a #corejet from the lower large IR signature near the top of the image? Either all kinds of cool or just a hot mess 😃

Posted

• WizardHowl by WizardHowl

I think what you have here is an #overedge #doublelobe - and a big one, maybe even a #giant.

When you click the NVSS button you see a larger region than the field of view used to classify the image and from a different radio telescope; this survey has a lower resolution but is still very sensitive and picks up the diffuse, large-scale structures that the FIRST data used in the classification images misses. Here you see a band running NE to SW that is stronger nearer its ends. The FIRST button shows the same region as the NVSS image, giving you the larger field of view with the higher resolution: this does not show a core so this is a doublelobe rather than a triple. Here, FIRST has picked up on the 'hotspots' of the doublelobe (think of the spectacular image you get when entering the RGZ website and you see the jet 'beam' and the brighter region where it reaches the end of the lobe).

This is - potentially - a rare giant radio source but whether it is large enough depends on finding the host galaxy the emission is coming from - and hoping it has a redshift measurement so the distance to it can be determined and the actual dimensions of the radio lobes calculated. This is easier for triples as the radio core shows you where the host galaxy is but this doublelobe looks very straight and symmetric so it may also be possible, but is still a bit harder. I'm going to hazard a guess that the host galaxy is the averagely-bright source in the IR almost in the top-left corner of the image, as there's nothing else in the right direction that is standing out. The co-ordinates of this source are found by looking at the WISE image: RA: 130.221485 DEC: 23.394797. The SDSS image shows a colour view in the visual part of the spectrum and by putting these co-ordinates in and clicking search, it - thankfully - centres on a galaxy (else I'd have either got the host wrong or the source might not be bright enough to be detected by the SDSS survey). This galaxy is SDSS J084053.18+232340.7 and its redshift has been estimated, photometrically, at about 0.33. Photometric redhifts are estimates, not measurements, but the two estimates here agree with each other well so it's probably not that far out. This is as far as you need to go - it needs one of the SCIENTISTS to check what you've done and calculate the size of the object.

Posted

• basst82 by basst82

So how do we hear about follow ups on these more interesting candidates? I see a few scientists posting here and there, but is there a timeframe that you guys (the #scientists) are looking to work with these classifications in? Just curious.

Posted