Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

One or two ?

• barmet76 by barmet76

Is the second jet (top left) linked with the big one in the middle ?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to barmet76's comment.

Welcome to RGZ, barmet76!

I'm a bit surprised no one has commented on this amazing set of sources yet! 😮

Here's how the field looks, in SDSS, centered on the bright IR source that is also a compact radio source and the apparent source of the lower jet/lobe:

enter image description here

It looks like a star, but it's actually a broadline quasar, with a spectroscopic redshift of 0.557; its name is SDSS J110001.14+231413.1

According to NED, the quasar and (lower) jet/lobe have been associated in at least one catalog (but I can't tell whether the upper one has or not). From Anna Kapinska's two GZ blog posts - The Curious Lives Of Radio Galaxies – Part One and The Curious Lives of Radio Galaxies – Part Two - this may be restarted radio galaxy/AGN. Oh, and it's #bent too.

So, the answer to your question is "yes" (I think).

Happy hunting! 😃

Posted

• rtconr by rtconr

That's amazing! Almost takes your breath away in the FIRST image....so thanks for sharing it!

This guy JeanTate is a gift to this website! I hope you're employed around here~

Also, I noticed the Optical Spectrum, is the the type of composition you would normally see from a quasar? Going to look around and see what it looks like when you "see" one!

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin

This is an excellent source!

Posted