Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Help

• star-lightcox.net by star-lightcox.net

Am i marking this right?

Posted

I am new to this research and i am not sure this should be marked as IR. Unlike the samples, the IR is much larger than the galaxy. Would this classify as an IR to this galaxy or no. I would rather do this right than to submit garbage.

Posted

• akapinska by akapinska scientist

You mean the radio source is much smaller then the galaxy (as in host galaxy). The host galaxy is the IR source. So yes, here that is exact match. Both radio source and the IR source sit on each other in this 2D image.

Sometimes IR sources will merge in one, and unfortunately there is nothing we can do about that, still the match would be correct. Here the IR source is most likely just very closeby. Indeed, check the SDSS: http://skyserver.sdss3.org/public/en/tools/chart/navi.aspx?ra=139.89795833333332&dec=57.01444444444444&scale=0.2

Occasionally though, you may end up with a star in the IR field, and over half of the image will be white or yellow - even if you click on that as the IR source, we will easily weed out the stars so don't worry there.

Posted

Thank you.

Posted