Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG00021lo - one, two, or three independent sources?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Here's the SDSS field, centered on the strongest (central) radio source (scale is similar to, but not the same as, the RGZ image):

enter image description here

Looks like a rich cluster, but none of its members seem to be spectroscopic objects. 😦

The only obviously extended radio object (top right/NW) seems to be the z_ph ~0.178 cD/BCG, with core-jet morphology, SDSS J171235.73+245026.2:

The radio source below (S) it seems to be associated with z_ph ~0.161 SDSS J171237.11+245003.2. I guess 0.161 is the same as 0.178, for a photometric redshift, so this galaxy is a member of the cluster. To me it looks too elongated to be an elliptical; it may be a highly-inclined/edge-on lenticular (I doubt that the partial faint green halo is anything other than an artifact, but maybe it's a faint outer ring with on-going star-formation?):

The really radio-bright compact source is z_ph 0.183 SDSS J171238.79+244938.7:

It's diffspiked by the bright star, so it's hard to say whether it's also too elongated to be an elliptical. According to NED it's also an x-ray source, RX J1712.5+2450.

Posted

• DocR by DocR scientist

Three looks right to me.

Posted