Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG0002w82 - big double lobe with no apparent host (IR or optical)

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Not an IFRS - because it's too big - and for the host to be invisible in both WISE and SDSS it must have a redshift >~0.7-0.8; if so, that would make this a giant, right?

Posted

• DocR by DocR scientist

@JeanTate I'm not sure which nearby component you think is associated. Add a picture?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to DocR's comment.

enter image description here

There are two 'contoured' radio sources in the ARG field; the W one is slightly elongated and fairly bright, the E one faint and diffuse. If these are two lobes, then the host should be ~in the middle; there are no WISE or SDSS sources anywhere between the two radio sources. Assuming this is a double-lobe structure, at z=0.75, how big would it be (physically, in kpc)?

Maybe I'm just completely misjudging distance (and should make my own estimate first, ...) 😦

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to JeanTate's comment.

Answering my own question:

Assuming this is a double-lobe structure, at z=0.75, how big would it be (physically, in kpc)?

~300 kpc (per Ned Wright, 71/27/73 cosmology)

Maybe I'm just completely misjudging distance (and should make my own estimate first, ...) :

Yes, you (I) should ...

Posted

• DocR by DocR scientist

This could be a double, west just brighter and more compact, east (left) looks like a classical hot spot. But there is a faint SDSS source SDSS J114730.86+120139.5 at the location of the peak in the eastern region, so who knows?
    enter image description here (I smoothed SDSSr a little to be able to see this.

Posted