Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

STAR ARGOOO1a1o

• 1001G by 1001G

ARG0001a1o

ARE THE RADIO SOURCES FROM A STAR.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to 1001G's comment.

It's a very nice #triple (bright core and two lobes, one bit further from the core than the other).

The central (brightest) radio source seems to me to coincide with SDSS J160846.76+374850.6, which looks like a star in the center of the SDSS image:

enter image description here

Its spectrum shows it's a QSO, but the SDSS pipeline's estimate of its redshift (4.609!) is surely wrong (I think the broad emission feature it labels as LyA is more likely CIV).

So, to answer your question: the brightest radio source looks like a star, but is actually a quasar (QSO, 'quasi-stellar object'; quasar: 'quasi-stellar radio source'). How can you tell a star from a QSO? By looking at its spectrum! 😃

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Click on the SDSS link (just to the left, and under where it says RA😃

Move your mouse so that it's over the object you want; left click (the green square will move).

In the right-hand panel, click the Explore link.

In the image which comes up, right-click the image location (in Firefox, it's "Copy Image Location")

Come back to an open post, like this.

Click the image icon above (after the code icon, before the numbered list one)

In the pop-up box, paste your link (ctrl-V for me).

Before you click OK, delete the 'tail' in the link ("&opt=G"); you can also change the "200" to "500" (say).

Click OK ... and magic happens! 😄

Posted