Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

2 STARS OR 1

• 1001G by 1001G

enter image description here

ARG0000ah0 at 187.68875.56.11189 away from the radio source is that 2 or 1 star.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to 1001G's comment.

In SDSS when stars get as bright as this, there can be all kinds of artifacts, some quite strange.

There may be a way to tell, with near certainty, using just the data in this SDSS image, that this is just a single bright star (I think it is), but I don't know of such a method.

Going beyond just the SDSS image, there are plenty of resources which might help; e.g. SIMBAD

Posted

• 1001G by 1001G

TRIED A SEARCH. THERE WAS NO KNOWN CATALOG FOUND.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to 1001G's comment.

Strange.

VizieR is a searchable 'catalog of catalogs' service.

When I entered the position of this star - 187.68863, 56.11240 - and set the target to 1 arcmin, I got six results (for the first catalog). The top one was this star (because it's by far the brightest). Clicking on the "1" in the first column, I found that this star is called "1425-07822734" in the USNO-A2.0 catalog.

It's also the first entry in the HST Guide Star Catalog, The APM-North Catalogue, ... 2MASS, TASS, ... (lots of catalogs)

When I clicked on 'start AladinLite', I got this amazing plot! All the positions of all the objects in all the catalogs appeared! 😮 Most relevant, however, is that there seems to be just one star. 😃

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

Yeah, our instruments/telescopes are very tuned to be very sensitive to faraway galaxies so bright foreground objects do saturate our detectors and cause all sorts of sidelobe effects (radio-speak; in the optical wavelength, they call them diffraction spikes).

Posted