Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG0002kh2 - very bright compact radio source, no apparent IR or optical host

• JeanTate by JeanTate

It can't be an #ifrs, if the two other faint sources are part of the same system (and not artifacts), can it?

How common are such bright compact radio sources, ones with no apparent IR (WISE) or optical (SDSS) host?

Posted

• 1001G by 1001G

enter image description here
    Is 129.53582.16.57181 the radio source.
    SDSS says there is a galaxy at 129.53599.16.57058 is that what you are looking for.
    Is there a radio trail from the 1 radio contour to the other radio contours.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to 1001G's comment.

Here is the SDSS DR9 Aladin image, overlaid with FIRST source contours (per Aladin):

enter image description here

I don't think SDSS J083808.52+163419.3 is the host.

Posted

• WizardHowl by WizardHowl

I think this is an ifrs. The lobes might or might not be real but they are located on the hexagonal lines that are part of the noise background so I, personally, suspect they are artefacts. Less than 3% of radio sources are ifrs, if I remember correctly, but this is quite a strong one at ~0.15Jy/beam. They may be some of the most powerful sources in the (early) Universe and I think they are suspected to be very distant QSOs but until we have the likes of JWST to try and observe them, we won't really know.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

This is not the first of this kind of object I've found.

For example, in ARG0000pzr - bright compact, bright hourglass, no IR! there's a bright compact radio source with no apparent IR counterpart (no idea about optical; it's outside the SDSS footprint), and just a short (angular) distance away, a fairly bright hourglass radio source also without any apparent IR host.

Posted