Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG0000hpu associated with Spiral ?

• zutopian by zutopian

SkyView (FIRST) image:

enter image description here

SDSS image:

Posted

• WizardHowl by WizardHowl in response to zutopian's comment.

This is a #giant #overedge #triple ! Huge area of emission in NVSS, I had to set Size=0.75 to see it all! Having overlaid NVSS on top of SDSS r in Skyview, I traced the source to SDSS J162804.05+514631.4 Z_ph~0.08-0.1 which is 11' away from the lobe seen here in FIRST, whilst the SW lobe extends for ~7' more but is outside the survey area of FIRST. 18' at Z=0.09 ~2Mpc? (my rough guess).

There is a clear sign of ionised clouds for this galaxy but they are NOT in the direction of the lobes.

Simbad shows this is Mrk 1498, a Seyfert 1 galaxy and a known giant. I did not get the impression that the Voorwerp feature had been noticed from looking at the titles of the 50+ papers but if it features in a footnote I would not know which papers to check.

Amazing source!

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian in response to WizardHowl's comment.

I don't think, that ARG0000hpu is associated with Mrk 1498.: Actually, Mrk 1498 is associated with a different radio source.

http://skyserver.sdss3.org/public/en/tools/explore/summary.aspx?id=1237662701327548548

BTW, one of Refs in NED for Mrk 1498 is the paper "The Galaxy Zoo survey for giant AGN-ionized clouds" by Keel et al..

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

SDSS J162857.41+515545.3 is the nice z_ph 0.09 inclined spiral towards the E above:

Here's a FIRST and NVSS contour overlay image:

While the spiral in the center certainly has nuclear radio emission, it's not clear if that is related to the large FIRST blob (at the center of the ARG image) and NVSS emission. Zooming out ...

Giant triple! 😮

The host? Stay tuned! 😃

Is it possible, though, that there is at least one faint(ish) lobe associated with SDSS J162857.41+515545.3, to the NE? Any SW counterpart lobe would be drowned in the NE lobe of the giant triple ...

Boilerplate: SDSS image per http://skyservice.pha.jhu.edu/DR10/ImgCutout/getjpeg.aspx, FIRST (red) and NVSS (cyan) contours derived from the FITS files produced using SkyView with Python code described in this RGZ Talk thread. Image center is the galaxy SDSS J162857.41+515545.3, near the E edge of the ARG image (ARG0000hpu; J2000.0). "z_ph" is an SDSS photometric redshift of the galaxy in the center.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to zutopian's comment.

Behold, z_sp 0.055 (per NED) SDSS J162804.05+514631.4, a.k.a. Mrk 1498:

I'll see if I can find an ARG ID later.

Boilerplate: SDSS image per http://skyservice.pha.jhu.edu/DR10/ImgCutout/getjpeg.aspx, FIRST (red) and NVSS (cyan) contours derived from the FITS files produced using SkyView with Python code described in this RGZ Talk thread. Image center is the galaxySDSS J162804.05+514631.4 (J2000.0). "z_sp" is an SDSS spectroscopic redshift of the galaxy in the center.

Posted