Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG0002dun associated with edge-on?

• zutopian by zutopian

SkyView image:

enter image description here

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to zutopian's comment.

I just got this to classify. As WizardHowl says, there's a very bright nat nearby. But how to tell if the radio emission in this RGZ image (ARG0002dun) is an artifact of that nat?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Could there be a paper in sorting this one out? It's really strange! 😮

enter image description here

<enter image description here>

Among the odd things - to me anyway - is the NVSS (but not FIRST) source at the middle bottom; is it associated with the disturbed (?) disk galaxy, or not?

Boilerplate: SDSS image per http://skyservice.pha.jhu.edu/DR10/ImgCutout/getjpeg.aspx, FIRST contours derived from FITS files produced using SkyView with Python code described in this RGZ Talk thread. Image center per the ARG image (left; J2000).

Posted

• WizardHowl by WizardHowl in response to JeanTate's comment.

The clues that it is an artefact are:

1. There is nothing there in NVSS, even though it is large and bright enough that there should be.

2. Bright sources tend to have artefacts in a hexagonal arrangement around them (several other artefacts in the overlaid image above are visible as a result of this).

3. The shape of the central feature is, in this case, similar to the bright source

As for the NVSS source you mention, I believe this may also be an artefact and not something associated with the disk galaxy. The hexagonal noise from FIRST also appears in NVSS but on a different scale - you have to zoom out a lot to see it and only really bright sources show it. It is quite faint compared to the nat but lies along a line running from 11 o'clock to 5 o'clock. The only way to be 100% sure would be to observe it with a radio telescope with a different noise pattern (I'm not sure but I suspect this might be in the field of view of both SKA and LOFAR, it's about the right DEC, if there is any crossover).

Posted