Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG000200b - bright, big odd doublelobe, no apparent host (IR or optical)?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

The axes of the two elongated radio sources do not intersect anywhere sensible, so maybe they're unrelated (if so, how strange to have two one-sided bright jet/lobes)?

There's a faint IR source more or less where a host would be - ~(8:39:28.85, 25:26:27.2), or perhaps ~(8:39:29.56, 25:26:25.9) - and an SDSS z_ph 0.33 GALAXY (SDSS J083929.63+252626.5) too.

Posted

• WizardHowl by WizardHowl in response to JeanTate's comment.

I agree with your second set of co-ordinates (I think, both your first two are close) 8:39:28.75 +25:26:25.8 but I don't see an optical match to this faint IR source. The asymmetry might be a line-of-sight effect - there are a lot of doublelobe sources where one lobe seems longer and/or brighter - but it could also be a sign of precessing axes of the jet. I think the radio emission here is too close to being a pair of point sources to be able to say, so higher resolution observations would be the only way to find out. I do think they are related, though, as they are both slightly extended in broadly the direction of the other. Given the strength of the signals and the absence of anything in the optical, this might be quite a distant AGN/QSO.

Posted