Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG00022jc, IC 2465

• JeanTate by JeanTate

From the Interesting things from NVSS survey thread, started by Dolorous Edd (page 2):

The source is probably : IC 2465

Is that a line of diffuse emission? curious trajectory if so.

enter image description here

ARG00022jc is the FIRST source at/near the location of the nucleus of IC 2465.

One-sided jet/lobe? Maybe zoom out some?

Whatever IC 2465 is, it is NOT a boring elliptical! 😃

<enter image description here>

Boilerplate: SDSS image per http://skyservice.pha.jhu.edu/DR10/ImgCutout/getjpeg.aspx, FIRST (red) and NVSS (cyan) contours derived from FITS files produced using SkyView with Python code described in this RGZ Talk thread. Image center per the ARG image (left; J2000.0). "z_sp" is the SDSS spectroscopic redshift of the galaxy in the center.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to JeanTate's comment.

The above contour overlay only covered a small part of the giant structure Dolorous Edd may have found. Here's a zoomed out one, still not covering it all:

It does look rather like a restarted, somewhat asymmetric, set of lobes, doesn't it? Especially as the local maximum of the NVSS 'close-in' N lobe is also a FIRST source, and its irregular structure would seem to suggest it's a lobe, not the core of some very distant host (invisible in SDSS).

Amazingly, I had not had this in my database of SDRAGN ('spiral double radio AGN') candidates! 😮

I wonder if the long, bendy diffuse structure would show up in an even more zoomed out image? Perhaps one from a different survey? Stay tuned! 😃

Boilerplate: SDSS image per http://skyservice.pha.jhu.edu/DR10/ImgCutout/getjpeg.aspx, FIRST (red) and NVSS (cyan) contours derived from FITS files produced using SkyView with Python code described in this RGZ Talk thread. Image center (J2000.0) is the galaxy SDSS J092331.50+242644.4; 'z_sp' its SDSS spectroscopic redshift.

Posted