Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG0003nwu - faint overedge doublelobe; host an Eos?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

z_ph 0.119±0.0209/0.121±0.0243 SDSS J015744.20+024044.9 may be the host of the faint FIRST emission:

enter image description here

Or perhaps the host is z_ph 0.625±0.0503/0.616±0.1140 SDSS J015744.72+024042.3? What do you think?

Boilerplate: SDSS image per http://skyservice.pha.jhu.edu/DR10/ImgCutout/getjpeg.aspx, FIRST (red) and NVSS (cyan) contours derived from FITS files produced using SkyView with Python code described in this RGZ Talk thread. Image center (J2000.0) is the galaxy SDSS J015744.20+024044.9; "z_ph" its SDSS photometric redshift.

Posted

• WizardHowl by WizardHowl in response to JeanTate's comment.

To me the distant red galaxy SDSS J015744.72+024042.3 seems more likely. Also, the disk galaxy adjacent due W of it seems to be the wrong orientation for it, as the jets are in about the same orientation as its disk plane. Nevertheless, this might still be an interesting source due to its sheer size: 2-2.5' across at Z~0.6 makes it quite a large source, not sure if it's quite large enough to be a giant, though.

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd in response to WizardHowl's comment.

2-2.5' across at Z~0.6 makes it quite a large source, not sure if it's quite large enough to be a giant, though.

Around 800kpc for photo_z = 0.616 and 2' size

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin

This source would require higher resolution observations (VLBI) for the candidate hosts, to see which one has the radio core. I would be inclined to agree that the host would be the distant red galaxy based on how the lobes are pointing. I had a quick look at both the VLSS and WENSS surveys to see if they had some data in this area. Sorry to report that they do not.

Posted

• enno.middelberg by enno.middelberg scientist, translator in response to 42jkb's comment.

Given the source's faintness I suppose that VLBI is not going to help. Between the two lobes there is no emission above 2sigma~0.25mJy/beam in FIRST, so anything from the AGN is below that and would be further resolved out. I predict that for this particular object we'll never know.

Ok, until the SKA comes along, of course, because the SKA will solve all our problems. All of them. Instantly.

Enno

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin in response to enno.middelberg's comment.

Good to know re VLBI, too bad that we won't be able to tell. Ah yes, the SKA...

Posted