Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG0003pjj - one host, or two?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

The W radio source coincides with the nucleus of z_sp 0.158 SDSS J110845.48+020240.8, which the SDSS automated spectroscopic pipeline calls a "STARFORMING BROADLINE QSO". No surprise, being so radio-bright, that NED has 60 references ... but almost all are surveys. Its morphology, per GZ1, is "uncertain"; at the very least I think we can agree that it's NOT a boring elliptical:

enter image description here

The E radio source, which is actually brighter, seems to coincide with a rather (optically) faint extended blue-ish blob, z_ph 0.450±0.2118/0.175±0.1302 (i.e. "no clue!") SDSS J110846.27+020242.7:

So, is this two quite independent sources? or one? If one, which optical object is the host?

To answer WizardHowl's excellent question ("is this a quenched galaxy spectrum?"), no, because there's essentially no 'increasing Balmer absorption' ... but maybe a scientist with intimate knowledge of K+A objects could chime in?

Boilerplate: SDSS image per http://skyservice.pha.jhu.edu/DR10/ImgCutout/getjpeg.aspx, FIRST (red) contours derived from the FITS file produced using SkyView with Python code described in this RGZ Talk thread. Image center (J2000.0) is the galaxy SDSS J110845.48+020240.8; "z_sp" its SDSS spectroscopic redshift.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to JeanTate's comment.

Having now spent quite a bit of time producing FIRST contour overlays, particularly of odd-looking hosts, I come back to this one as being doubly odd.

Yes, it's a big universe, and strange alignments certainly do exist; however, the apparent host in ARG0002gbx - SDSS J120312.94+182322.0 - also seems to be a small, faint blue blob:

enter image description here enter image description here

Thoughts, anyone?

The image in this post was created from sources, and using methods, described in this RGZ Talk post. The object at the center of the image is SDSS J120312.94+182322.0.

Posted