Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG0001iex - what sort of host? what sort of radio morphology?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

At z_sp 0.405, SDSS J162513.31+334151.6 doesn't look at all like a boring elliptical ... strange tendrils, elongated bulge, ...:

enter image description here

And the spectrum, while ratty, isn't quite what you'd expect of a dead and red z 0.4 elliptical (ignore the strong/narrow unmarked emission lines; they're poorly subtracted skylines):

And it's the host of the extended FIRST radio emission (some of which is artifacts, though):

I'll add NVSS contours later ...

Boilerplate: SDSS image per http://skyservice.pha.jhu.edu/DR10/ImgCutout/getjpeg.aspx, FIRST (red) contours derived from the FITS file produced using SkyView with Python code described in this RGZ Talk thread. Image center (J2000.0) is the galaxy SDSS J162513.31+334151.6; "z_sp" its SDSS spectroscopic redshift.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to JeanTate's comment.

I'll add NVSS contours later ...

Is it a triple?

Boilerplate: SDSS image per http://skyservice.pha.jhu.edu/DR10/ImgCutout/getjpeg.aspx, FIRST (red) and NVSS (cyan) contours derived from FITS files produced using SkyView with Python code described in this RGZ Talk thread. Image center (J2000.0) is the galaxy SDSS J162513.31+334151.6; "z_sp" its SDSS spectroscopic redshift.

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin in response to JeanTate's comment.

NVSS points towards a triple but not FIRST as FIRST doesn't detect the southern lobe. I would still say that the host is an elliptical.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to 42jkb's comment.

Thanks!

I would still say that the host is an elliptical.

At z ~0.4, all but the most enormous spirals will look like ellipticals in SDSS images*. I intend to do more work on all fair/good/excellent candidates, using metrics (is that the right word?), found in the literature, for distinguishing small (angular size/'number of pixels across') disk galaxies from those with a de Vaucouleurs profile (a.k.a. 'elliptical').

*at least that's a safe conclusion from my hunt for Huds (huge/humongous distant spirals) (source); however, huge Eos (edge-on spirals) might be an exception (see this Zooniverse Letter, for example), as might loose, 2-armed giant spirals seen close to face-on, like the very first Huds I discovered, z_sp 0.305 SDSS J235925.15-102608.8 (DR7 image):

Posted