Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Rebound ripples

• Gtar by Gtar

What creates the crossing waves in the radio contours as if they were rebounding off a container?

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

What do you mean specifically by "crossing waves"?

The contour levels provide an indication of intensity. The little smaller contours in the middle show the peak intensity regions ....

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Gtar's comment.

Welcome to RGZ, Gtar! 😃

This particular set of radio sources is called a #triple. It's the 'core' (source in the center, coincident with the bright IR WISE source) and two lobes; the N one is detached, and the S one has a 'hotspot' close to the core, with a tail extending towards the SW (in these images N is always up, and W to the right, the opposite of what's usual in maps!).

Anna Kapinska, one of the RGZ Science Team members, wrote two very good blog posts on this, The Curious Lives Of Radio Galaxies – Part One and The Curious Lives of Radio Galaxies – Part Two, and there are several other good RGZ blog posts; well worth the time to read.

Hope this helps! Happy hunting 😄

Posted

• gavinrider by gavinrider

I think Gtar is referring to the residual noise in the radio image. This is the result of the Fourier transformation processing of added signals from multiple radio antennas in an array, I believe, which is necessary to generate the final intensity map. (but I'm not a radio astronomer!)

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

Thanks heaps @JeanTate & @gavinrider for helping out! You are both spot on!

cheers,
    Ivy

Posted