Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Extremely unusual green host+very large EELR ('Voorwerpje') and a triple radio source as well

• JeanTate by JeanTate

SDSS J130854.52+562155.6, which DR12 gives a z_ph of 0.363±0.0529, is also an unlisted FIRST source.

Streaming to the NE is an irregular green cloud, not unlike a radio plume; at ~12" long, at z=0.36 it's ~>50 kpc long! (there's also a faint green 'jet' to the SW, but it could be noise).

In the attached contour overlay image (FIRST data; contours spaced at sqrt(2)), the green galaxy is the host of a nice triple, with not-quite symmetric FRII double lobes and an elongated core (there's also an unrelated compact source to the W, host z_ph 0.58 SDSS J130852.44+562149.0).

As a veteran RGZ zooite, I must say that this is extremely unusual. Not only are green hosts unusual (we have a hashtag for them, #green), but extended green plumes tied to them unique (in my experience).

NED has no references, but does list it as a GALEX source (GALEXASC J130854.41+562156.6).

It's in an ARG field, ARG0000a2l.

enter image description here

This strange and interesting object was discovered during the course of some independent research being done by some RGZ zooites by super-zooite Dolorous Edd.

The image in this post was created from sources, and using methods, described in this RGZ Talk post. The object at the center of the image is SDSS J130854.52+562155.6.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to JeanTate's comment.

If any zooite reading this wishes to do some independent research on it, I'd be only too happy to assist! 😃 That includes suggestions on what sorts of analyses you could easily do, using data from SDSS and FIRST, for example.

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

Yeah, saw this one 4 month ago

Also see http://radiotalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/subjects/ARG0000a3k

And this discussion for more objects

http://radiotalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BRG0000003/discussions/DRG00007t1

That includes suggestions on what sorts of analyses you could easily do

I am afraid not much (

First of all, ensure this is not an artifact

Like check DSS & POSS surveys, from the looks of it is visible in both surveys, but object ( green cloud ) is small and pale and I can't say for sure

And IMO mostly visible in SDSSg band

Host is visible in WISE 1&2&3&4 bands

We can't handle other stuff ( like spectroscopy and higher resolution imaging )

For example image from POSS 2 Red

1'x1' field

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Dolorous Edd's comment.

Thanks for the inputs, Dolorous Edd! 😃

I have edited the OP to correctly credit you as the discoverer.

I am afraid not much (

Here are some suggestions:

• colors: where does the host live, in WISE color-color diagrams (such as this and this1), SDSS ones?
    • ditto, in a color-magnitude diagram (estimating absolute magnitude may be a challenge though)
    • ditto, in 2MASS color-color diagrams (what is in the literature re this?)
    • SDSS ugr and riz color images (the standard SDSS images are gri); the ugr one should be quite interesting, given that the host is a GALEX source
    • how does the host compare with the other #green hosts, in color diagrams (etc)?
    • more ambitiously: find other SDSS sources with colors similar to the host (perhaps limit this to a particular redshift range)

Shall we discuss details of any of these? 😄

1perhaps relevant only for z < 0.25, but interesting anyway

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

more ambitiously: find other SDSS sources with colors similar to the host (perhaps limit this to a particular redshift range)

Just remembered this thing

http://radiotalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BRG0000002/discussions/DRG00007q2

Edited 01.05.2015

There were speculations on Galaxy zoo forum that this feature is an artifact, BUT AFAIK same area in SDSS could be imaged multiple times

If it is an artifact why does it show up in , for example, DR 7 and onwards?

Posted