Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Radio echo?

• banzai by banzai

New to this. The left radio contour has an obvious source in IR but the right contour looks suspiciously similar but with no obvious source in IR.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

Welcome @banzai. This field does look strange and puzzling. I suspect that it is either a processing artefact or the chance alignment of another source (possibly an IFRS=infrared faint radio source) at high redshifts where the host galaxy is not visible.... It's difficult to verify without further observations unfortunately.

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

It is not visible in NVSS, hence I think it is an artifact

Posted

• banzai by banzai

Thanks!

I wish the interface had an option to skip an image or have an "I don't know what to do with this" button! I'd rather pass on an odd one than create bad data just so I can move on to the next one.

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

@banzai. Don't worry about having a different classification. Each subject gets classified by many participants (~20) so if someone makes an occasional mistake, it won't skew our results too badly 😃

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

There may be radio emission from z_sp 0.678 SDSS J144456.29+520333.1, but that may be a coincidence, and both apparent radio features may be #artifacts:

enter image description here

enter image description here

#SDRAGN candidate?

Also discussed in ARG0000hfp z 0.498 SDSS J144454.78+520250.7 & z 0.671 SDSS J144452.81+520256.3 radio source contour galaxies?, where the ARG object is centered on the other source, ARG0000hfp

The image in this post was created from sources, and using methods, described in this RGZ Talk post. The object at the center of the image is SDSS J144456.29+520333.1

Posted