Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Two hosts, or one?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Is the radio-bright core of the S bent emission a 'near' hotspot of a lobe (with host the big E SDSS J092539.05+362705.6)? Or the core/host itself (SDSS J092538.89+362632.3)?

And why the marked dissimilarity of the N and S lobes?

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

Wow. this is a complex source. It does look like it could be 2 separate host galaxies but assigning the correct radio components to relative host is difficult. Without further follow-up observations, my hunch is that the bigger galaxy in the North is the host to the large bent jets (which include the #overedge lobe) and that the smaller galaxy in the south may have a compact radio component which is confused with the diffused emission of its neighbour. I could be wrong but that would be my hypothesis at this point. It's also complicated by the fact that these radio galaxies are also in a cluster environment so the #bent structures are not surprising.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Thanks Ivy. How likely is it that there will be follow up observations? Is this part of the sky scheduled to be included in a deep(er) survey, as far as you know? For example, is it within reach of LOFAR (which is, in part I think, all-sky)?

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

At the declinations of +36, it will depend on the surveys by the telescopes in the North. LOFAR works at lower frequencies so the radio morphologies may differ. But in terms of all-sky surveys at around 1.4 GHz (like FIRST), the only all-sky survey that are in the planning/EOI stage that I know of is Wodan using the upgraded WSRT. When they have fully commissioned their new Apertif instrument survey. However like EMU, the instruments are still being commissioned so it's not for a few years yet. (for more information, see: https://www.astron.nl/radio-observatory/apertif-eoi-abstracts-and-contact-information)

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to JeanTate's comment.

NVSS/FIRST contour overlay to the rescue! Just one host, I think, z_sp 0.112 SDSS J092539.05+362705.6:

enter image description here
    enter image description here

The radio morphology is certainly complicated ...

The image in this post was created from sources, and using methods, described in this RGZ Talk post. The object at the center of the image is SDSS J092539.05+362705.6

Posted