Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG0003iuq - one radio source or two? why the unusual background?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

The ARG0003iuq field has two bright sources (one elongated ~#corejet, on #compact) on a very odd (dark) IR background. There is an SDSS source close to the central source, z_ph 0.743 ± 0.0698 SDSS J123549.47+043257.2, but it's unclear if the morphology is #corejet or asymmetric #hourglass. And there's the SW #compact: an associated #lobe? Or something completely unrelated?

enter image description here

Overlay image later

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to JeanTate's comment.

I've developed my Python code further, so that now I can produce overlays in batch mode. I'll be posting ~50 or so that I've just produced; many are quite interesting. I've also had to change the method I used earlier, for uploading images (so I could get a URL for the images); I'm still using Google Photos, but it works differently now.

There is an SDSS source close to the central source, z_ph 0.743 ± 0.0698 SDSS J123549.47+043257.2, but it's unclear if the morphology is #corejet or asymmetric #hourglass

Neither, it seems ...

And there's the SW #compact: an associated #lobe? Or something completely unrelated?

Something completely unrelated: host is a STAR, SDSS J123546.62+043159.3; likely an unrecognized QSO ...

The image in this post was created from sources, and using methods, described in this RGZ Talk post. The object at the center of the image is SDSS J151353.96+241232.1

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

Congratulations on getting your python code to do batch overlays!

My suspicion is that you have 2 separate radio galaxies in this subject.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ivywong's comment.

Congratulations on getting your python code to do batch overlays!

Thanks!

Actually I've been doing 'batch mode' overlays for some time now, but this is the first ~large run using 'random' objects/fields selected (mostly) from what's in Talk threads/posts (apart from a quite small earlier - 'test' - run). I've done two, considerably larger, lots, as part of a semi-systematic search for SDRAGN candidates (I'll be posting the results in the Hourglass sources associated with spiral galaxies thread later).

Sadly, this will likely be the last of this kind of exercise ... getting the data to start the process took long enough (many times the time it took to run the ~three scripts/programs to produce the overlays), but posting the results here in Talk is horribly inefficient 😦 Once I'm done posting, I'll write something in the Suggestions for RGZ Objects to show with detailed FIRST contours overlaid on SDSS images thread, and will likely limit my future 'batch overlay work from Talk posts/threads' to mostly requests posted there.

It's certainly been fun learning how to do this stuff, and many of the overlays clarify the relationship between radio emission and optical sources - and several 'mysteries' become more mysterious! - but I'm beginning to wonder what scientific value any of this has ...

Posted