Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG0001csu/SDSS J150041.29+362147.6 - how to describe the radio morphology?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

The host in ARG0001csu is z_sp 0.255 SDSS J150041.29+362147.6, which has an odd optical morphology, a kinda late-stage giant merger?:

enter image description here

However, the radio morphology is weirder (to me anyway) ... there's clearly a core (though an overlay would be needed to be sure), and to the E a #bent #lobe, or perhaps a #jet or a #plume? To the W, what looks like a detached #lobe, with a hotspot closer to the host.

What do you think?

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin

The detached lobe could be a projection effect and/or a resolution effect. I would say that the radio emission is from one galaxy.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to 42jkb's comment.

Thanks. One of the - several - things that makes this weird, for me, is the 'spur' on the E lobe, which doesn't seem to have a counterpart in the W one. Also, the 'bending' seems quite asymmetric; the E lobe is 'bent' in a way quite different from the W lobe. I've seen very few radio sources like this, perhaps just two or three ...

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin in response to JeanTate's comment.

Yes this bending and 'spurring' is a lot more common at higher resolutions. My understanding is that the environment is playing a role and the lobes are moving to the environment.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to JeanTate's comment.

(though an overlay would be needed to be sure)

enter image description here

I, for one, am still not sure! 😦

The image in this post was created from sources, and using methods, described in this RGZ Talk post. The object at the center of the image is SDSS J150041.29+362147.6

Posted