Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Green emissions or artifact?

• ChrisMolloy by ChrisMolloy

This is ARG0002ct1. Unsure of the host but appears to be a #doublelobe, centred on SDSS J100825.19+200248.9, DR9 image below.

enter image description here

Here's the DR9 image of the field of view. This image is slightly off centre from SDSS J100825.19+200248.9. What's the green emissions emanating from the W. Artifact or somethig else?

Zoomed out DR9

Close up green emissions DR9

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

It is an artifact, which is caused by the star!

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin in response to ChrisMolloy's comment.

I agree that it is probably an artifact as there is straight line cutoff in the image above.

Posted

thanks 42jkb, zutopian.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Just to add my 2c ... sometimes faint, diffuse emission in SDSS images - green or otherwise - turns out to be real, and at least one zooite, from the GZ forum days, tried collecting them, and matching them to known HII regions, SNRs (supernova remnants), etc (it was DR7 then, of course). As far as I know, there are few, if any, examples of extra-galactic diffuse emission that cover more than ~10' (say) of sky, and very few bigger than 1' (excluding tidal tails), beyond the Local Group.

Posted

I saw the straight line cutoff mentioned above, but what struck me about this image was that the emission seemed very extended. I'll have a hunt through the GZ forums to see what I can find.

Posted

Had a look at the forums, HII regions, SNR's. Agree with above, Artifact!

Posted