Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG0002szk: Two spirals! Merger or Overlap?

• zutopian by zutopian

enter image description here
    http://skyserver.sdss.org/dr12/en/tools/explore/Summary.aspx?id=1237664106852319345

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin in response to zutopian's comment.

Yes, this indeed looks like two spirals. However, I would say that they are separated out in space and overlapping. they wouldn't be interacting as I see no evidence of this (e.g., tidal tails).

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian in response to 42jkb's comment.

Please be informed, that this GPair isn't listed in the "GZ overlap catalog"* by Mr Keel et al., though it had been suggested as an overlap candidate by volunteers in the GZ forum! The redshifts of both galaxies are similar!

'* http://data.galaxyzoo.org/data/overlapping-galaxy-pairs/overlap-catalog.txt

Posted

If the redshifts are similar then the evidence of interaction could be behind the closest galaxy and we do not see it.

The faceon spiral has a z_spec=0.033 and the edge on spiral has a z_phot=0.044.

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian in response to 42jkb's comment.

Actually, there are spectroscopic redshifts available for both galaxies! (in DR7 and also in NED)

• Faceon spiral has z_spec= 0.034
    • Edge on spiral has z_spec= 0.036

PS: Could you please inform Mr Keel about this discussion?

Posted

I'll send him note about this. Thanks!

Posted

• NGC3314 by NGC3314

Julie pointed me to this thread, so I checked on this system. Indeed this pair was on the candidate list for the Galaxy Zoo overlap catalog. It was shuffled into the "rejects" list (available on data.galaxyzoo.org), because both Anna Manning and I agreed that the southern galaxy shows a warped disk, which would be positive evidence of some interaction. (This is often a judgment call, since there are certainly catalogued pairs which may be interacting but where our viewing geometry makes it more difficult to tell). This can be frustrating, because there are more interacting pairs than non-associated overlapping pairs; the interacting ones often have better geometry for reconstructing the dust, but then their degree of symmetry is not as high and we may not know whether the dust lanes started where we see them or have been moved outward or inward by tidal forces.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Here's a FIRST contour overlay image:

enter image description here

Interesting that one spiral has extended radio emission - in its disk and bulge/nucleus - and the other has none,

The image in this post was created from sources, and using methods, described in this RGZ Talk post. The object at the center of the image is SDSS J095908.82+130331.5

Posted