Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

SDSS J171921.73+401958.8 sDRAGN candidate?

• sisifolibre by sisifolibre

This #headtail seems to have host in SDSS J171921.73+401958.8. PhotoZ is 0.022 ± 0.0086, and don't seems a usual old elliptical, but neither a clear spiral. Just another blue ghost...

Near SE #compact have host ETG SDSS J171927.61+401909.4 - 1237668354037121903

enter image description here

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

Not a spiral, but host is unusual IMO

Something akin ARG00013lf

Question to science team: how is to common to irregular galaxies (like above) to be the host of double , triple etc?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

This is a very cool find, sisifolibre! 😃

AFAIK (as far as I know), extended radio structures - like jets, lobes, plumes - associated with irregular galaxies are not only rare, but there are none known! 😮

But let's hear from Ivy, Julie, DocR, ...

Contour overlay on order ...

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

A very cool find indeed. For the central source, t I am concerned by the apparent one-side jet. I am not sure that it's real. The extended emission is rather weak and the radio observations appear quite noisy. The host galaxy's optical morphology is certainly a late-type but I think follow-up deeper observations will be needed to verify whether it's a proper disk galaxy or an irregular... The main thing is that if the extended plume is real then it'd be somewhat more interesting than if the extension is not real. A late-type galaxy can always exhibit radio emission from star formation.

The source in the South East looks like a regular compact so you're spot on 😃

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to JeanTate's comment.

Host does, indeed, appear to be zph 0.022±0.009 SDSS J171921.73+401958.8:

enter image description here enter image description here

Posted

• raynorris by raynorris scientist

This looks like a really interesting source. DRAGNs tend to be hosted by ellipticals at low redshift, but at high redshift irregular galaxies quite commonly host them. But one sided jets are very unusual on this scale. It would be good to get deeper radio data. It's a pity it's at dec +40 otherwise we would cover it with EMU! ( http://askap.pbworks.com )

Cheers

Ray

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Perhaps it's a chance alignment, and not a #bent #corejet? Maybe the host is far too faint to be detected in SDSS, and the radio morphology a #bent #triple; host near the center of the kink, close to (259.8428, 40.338) perhaps:

Posted