Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Galaxy Merger?

• Gweilouk by Gweilouk

I wonder if what I am looking at here could be a pair of Galaxies in the process of merging. In the radio and the IR there seem to be two hosts in close proximity and when I looked at the SDSS image the best object seemed to be in this link

http://skyserver.sdss.org/dr12/en/tools/chart/navi.aspx?ra=210.598125&dec=24.708805555555553&scale=0.2

Apologies I'm not sure how to post the image.

Paul

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to Gweilouk's comment.

I think this is, radio morphology-wise, a #restarted source. In such there seem to be a pair (or more) of lobes on each side. As I understand it, this is due to there being two (or more) distinct 'outbursts'.

Myself, I think it's somewhat unclear just what the host is; true, it could be one of the pair (either SDSS J140224.25+244224.3, to SW, or SDSS J140224.31+244226.8, to NE):

enter image description here

Or it could perhaps be SDSS J140225.03+244218.1:

enter image description here

Is there some kind of interaction between at least a pair of these three, perhaps an early-stage merger? Yes, the amount of 'yellow fluff' (my own, highly unscientific description!) around them certainly points to that. However, without a lot more information - e.g. spectroscopic redshifts, deeper optical images, etc - I think it's not clear.

Hope this helps, and happy hunting! 😃

Posted