Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG0000flc: archetype asymmetric triple?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

I often come across what seem like #doublelobe sources, if you look at the radio emission only. However, when you add the IR, it seems to me that they are actually #asymmetric #triple objects, with the host being 'within' the inner part of one set of radio lobes (ARG0002kip contains a example).

ARG0000flc seems to be a good example, but with the core and the closer lobe clearly resolved.

I wonder if there's any scientific value to be had by collecting, and analyzing these?

What do you think?

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin in response to JeanTate's comment.

yes these are interesting objects. The fact that the two lobes are different distances away from the host can be two things:

(1) a projection effect where one of the lobes is coming towards us and the other is going away.
    (2) the environment where the galaxy lives allows one side to travel further as the environment is less dense.

99.9999% of the cases are the projection effect. Interesting but not interesting to collect.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to 42jkb's comment.

Thanks! 😃

99.9999% eh? So if there are 100k FIRST doublelobes/triples, then there'll be only 0.1 which are not due to projection effects. 😉

Posted