Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG0001lxh: really energetic #hourglass #irfs

• JeanTate by JeanTate

I've been collecting radio sources which seem to have no IR (or perhaps a very faint one) and no SDSS host, and which are not #compact, and which have rather more contour levels than 2 or 3 (see No or faint IR, DL/HG/triple bright radio !IFRS).

This one is unusual, in that it is really (radio) bright! I count at least 8 levels (there may be more, it's hard to tell). I don't know what the ~max z is, for hosts to be visible in WISE (it's a huge range in SDSS, from ~1 for regular galaxies, to perhaps ~3.5 for QSOs), but whatever it is, it's likely greater than 3, making this an immensely powerful radio source. 😃 (It's fairly easy to calculate an estimate of the minimum absolute luminosity, anyone interested?)

An input from a radio astronomer would be most welcome. 😄

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

Hi JeanTate,

Yes, this is very powerful high-z source. I looked up NED and the position of this source coincides with detections at lower radio frequencies. My suspicion is that you're looking at a high-z AGN ( z>2) when the Universe was a young adolescent. This should be an interesting source to get absorption lines against since it's so bright.

Thanks for the collection!
    cheers,
    Ivy

Posted