Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG0000oug merger

• ChrisMolloy by ChrisMolloy

Here is ARG0000oug, which is centred on a pair of merging galaxies. SDSS J133817.77+481641.0 and SDSS J133817.27+481632.2 both have a z_sp=0.028, and are listed in SDSS DR12 and NED as being radio emitters. They are noted as MRK 266NE and MRK 266B in SIMBAD and NED has a classification of "Compact pec;Sy2LINER" for both.

enter image description here

The contour overlay image in this post was created from sources, and using methods, described in this RGZ Talk thread.

SDSS J133817.77+481641.0, MRK 266NE.

SDSS J133817.27+481632.2, MRK 266B.

I'm wondering whether the centre lobe could be two #compact lobes, both closely aligned, centred on each galaxy, as seems to appear in the First image below. Also, there is a #diffuse lobe to the North of this pair, centred on what appears to be a blue emission streak (in the above contour image). Anyone have a view as to what is the cause of this blue emission and whether this is two closely aligned #compact lobes?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ChrisMolloy's comment.

Cool! 😃

No one's had a go at answering your questions yet, so let me try ...

Anyone have a view as to what is the cause of this blue emission

SFR (star-forming region) and/or EELR (extended emission line region). Intense star-bursts are common when two gas-rich spirals interact. They will appear some shade of blue in SDSS images, particularly at essentially 0 redshift (I need to check what prominent emission lines fall in the SDSS g band; [OIII] and H-beta?). Several voorwerpjies (sp?) have EELRs; in fact, that's how many were first identified. And many such objects are late-stage, gas-rich mergers.

and whether this is two closely aligned #compact lobes?

Possibly ... though I suspect there's also some diffuse radio emission, due to SFRs. Maybe a radio astronomer could comment?

Posted