Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG0002u9m, doublelobe, possibly restarted?, almost triple?, green outflow?

• ChrisMolloy by ChrisMolloy

Here's ARG0002u9m, a some what #asymmetrical #doublelobe. The lobes could also be described as an almost #triple, and possibly #restarted radio emission, as per the classification comments left.

enter image description here

The contour overlay image in this post was created from sources, and using methods, described in this RGZ Talk
    thread.

The host appears to be SDSS J112110.09+123604.4, which has a z_ph= 0.469 ± 0.0548, and is also listed as ALLWISE J112110.12+123604.4. NED has an NVSS reference as well.

SDSS J112110.09+123604.4

Interestingly, there is some sort of #green #outflow which seems to be extending south of SDSS J112110.09+123604.4. A zoomed in image below of the host shows this more clearly. Anyone have a view as to what this could be?

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ChrisMolloy's comment.

Cool! 😃

Anyone have a view as to what this could be?

It's not a separate PO in SDSS, which could mean that it's merely some random noise fluctuation.

I wonder if this field has been imaged more deeply, in DECaLS, CFHT, HSC (Hyper Suprime-Cam), or some other survey with publicly available results? It will certainly have been imaged a great many times by Pan-STARRS, but as far as I know that data is not publicly available. 😦

Posted

• ChrisMolloy by ChrisMolloy in response to JeanTate's comment.

It is imaged in DECaLS. Here's an image from the DECaLS browser, slightly edited, which does show the outflow which could also be possibly extended to the north and north north west.

Posted

Cool! 😃

How did you find this, may I ask?

Also, what band is this taken in? It'd be cool if it's something similar to SDSS' r-band (mapped as green in the SDSS RBG JPEG images)!

Confirmation that we have a #green #outflow object, with the ~S outflow somewhat aligned with the radio emission to the S.

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

Single band image, z most likely since z-band mapped to Red in DECaLS

IMO these are different galaxies

Posted

• ChrisMolloy by ChrisMolloy in response to JeanTate's comment.

I got this from the DECaLS browser and just clicked on the coordinates top right.

Wasn't sure what band it was in, but presumed r or z, so thanks Dolorous_Edd for the band info.

Posted

Thanks; very helpful, and useful.

I couldn't find anything which tells me which band(s) the displayed image uses, but there's a discussion forum, so perhaps I'll join and ask about it there ...

Posted