Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG0003gla triple?

• ChrisMolloy by ChrisMolloy

Here's ARG0003gla, which seems to be an #overedge #triple.

enter image description here

The contour overlay image in this post was created from sources, and using methods, described in this RGZ Talk
    thread.

The host appears to be SDSS J151659.24+051751.5, which has a z_sp=0.051 +/-0.00001, and is listed as having First flux radio emission. This galaxy is also cited in the following paper, ACTIVE GALACTIC NUCLEI WITH DOUBLE-PEAKED NARROW LINES: ARE THEY DUAL ACTIVE
    GALACTIC NUCLEI?

SDSS J151659.24+051751.5

enter image description here

In terms of Radio references, there doesn't appear to be any in NED or SIMBAD. However, there are a number of ALLWISE references for this galaxy, including ALLWISE J151659.32+051751.8, and ALLWISE J151659.17+051751.2 which are more centred on the nucleus.

As to whether this galaxy is an #SDRAGN candidate, it does appear to be more elliptical than disk like. It has a fracDev_g, _r, of 0.791 and 0.932, and an expAB_g of 0.486 and expAB_r of 0.570 respectively. For c, the inverse concentration index, it has a figure of 0.338 for the g band and 0.335 for the r band.

As always, comments, suggestions, welcome.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ChrisMolloy's comment.

In Huertas-Company+ (2011) its "probaS0" (sorta, the probability that's is an S0, or lenticular) is 0.78, and probaSab 0.12. Are lenticulars spirals? Cue a debate! 😮 Do lenticulars have large stellar disks? Yes. So IMHO this is most certainly an #SDRAGN candidate.

Further evidence: in Meert+ (2015), the best (of four) 2D surface brightness model fits is a "Ser+Exp" one, which is a bulge with a Sérsic profile (WP) with free n and an exponential disk. The B/T ratio (luminosity of the bulge to the total of the galaxy) is 0.56 - i.e. the bulge contributes only slightly more to the r-band light we receive than the disk - and n is 4.66±0.11 (very close to that of a classical bulge; a.k.a. a de Vaucouleurs profile), and the effective radii are 3.1±0.1 and 2.68±0.03, respectively (I think they are in arcsec units). The "finalflag" is 5121; I'm not entirely sure what this signifies, other than that it's a reasonably good fit. The galaxy is somewhat unusual in that the b/a (ratio of fitted minor axis to major axis) of the bulge is 0.38 (bulges are usually thought of as being not far off spherical) and that of the disk 0.80 (so this galaxy looks like a slightly inclined disk in a quite oval bulge); both have similar PA's (position angles), -27.4±0.4 and -27.5±1.3, respectively.

I haven't checked whether this is in Simard+ (2011) yet, nor GAMA DR2.

Posted

• ChrisMolloy by ChrisMolloy in response to JeanTate's comment.

Thanks for the feedback and references.

Posted