Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG00011k9, two emissions and hosts, and artifacts?

• ChrisMolloy by ChrisMolloy

Here's ARG00011k9, which is cross referenced in the How to describe the radio morphology? thread. This appears to be either one or two separate emissions.

enter image description here

The contour overlay image in this post was created from sources, and using methods, described in this RGZ Talk
    thread.
    First contours red, Wise Band 1 lime green.

The host for the centre lobe emission appears to be SDSS J124649.93+420718.9, which is a #QSO, has a z_sp=1.231 +/-0.00062, and radio references in NED and SIMBAD. There is an ALLWISE reference also, ALLWISE J124649.93+420718.9.

SDSS J124649.93+420718.9

To the SW of SDSS J124649.93+420718.9 is SDSS J124649.48+420706.9, which appears to be a faint #green galaxy, with a z_ph=0.321 ± 0.2309. This galaxy has recorded First flux emission, and references in NED and SIMBAD. This object is located on the SW centre lobe.

SDSS J124649.48+420706.9

It appears that this ARG field contains two separate emissions which are #overlapping, with two very visible hosts. As for the #diffuse lobes to the NE and SW being #artifacts, there is a Wise Band 1 emission which coincides with the First emission to the SW, but not the NE.

As always, comments, suggestions, welcome.

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin

What signal-to-noise contour do you start the radio with?

Posted

• ChrisMolloy by ChrisMolloy in response to 42jkb's comment.

Here's the parameters I used for this image:

Wnsignoise = 1 # Wise noise floor, in sigmas;
    Wsf = 2 # Wise contour scale factor;
    Wsmooth = 2 # sigma for gaussian smoothing (Wise contours).

Fnsignoise = 2.5 # FIRST noise floor, in sigmas;
    Fsf = 2 # FIRST contour scale factor;
    Fsmooth = 4 # sigma for gaussian smoothing (FIRST contours).

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin in response to ChrisMolloy's comment.

I'm looking at the NE FIRST contours. There are two. So the lowest contour here is 4, then the next one is 6? I'm trying to decide if the radio emission in the NE relates to the radio emission in the centre. I think that everything goes together and the host is the central galaxy.

Posted