Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

ARG00018fz: asymmetric triple, host a pink pea QSO

• JeanTate by JeanTate

The host is zph 0.455 (per NED) QSO, a.k.a. SDSS STAR, SDSS J150815.67+383643.6, a nice "pink pea":

enter image description here

Aside from being somewhat unusual (in the host department), this leads me to ask a question: how common are #asymmetric triples/doubles?

Sure, every NAT and WAT is asymmetric, but if you straighten out the jets/lobes/plumes, often not so much.

And, strictly speaking, almost every non-compact source is asymmetric to some extent.

But I - and I'm sure almost everyone else who's done classifications here - have come across some pretty wildly asymmetric sources, along with others where the radio sources may be physically related but the geometry/asymmetry is so strange that we hesitated to call them related. It's not just geometry either; two lobes may have dramatically different radio strengths (e.g. one barely detectable, the other with six or more contours).

Has there been a systematic study of this?

It has, of course, implications for many (possible) projects; for example, how many SDRAGNs have we missed because we thought the asymmetry required was too extreme?

Posted