Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

NGC 3726: a spiral with extended radio emission?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Catching up on items in the Suggestions for RGZ Objects to show with detailed FIRST contours overlaid on SDSS images thread ... I don't think either the FIRST or NVSS emission extends beyond the optical boundaries of NGC 3726 (SDSS J113321.13+470145.2), and I think the hosts for each is far in the background.

enter image description here

What do you think?

The contour overlay image in this post was created from sources, and using methods, described in this RGZ Talk thread.

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

something protrudes to the S, almost at the noise level

enter image description here

Posted

• sisifolibre by sisifolibre

I think that if NGC 3726 had seemed elliptical I would have said that is host for a double, but I guess that this kind of cases need more certainy. The double seems missaligned and not centered.

A double like this is interesting even if is into the optical boundaries of his host because the interesting thing is all these gas interacting... or no? Anycase, is very unusual subject...

I'am sure that I'm going to make some kind of gaffe, but here I go! I'm sure that @JeanTate have a good response for this... I have this question in my head for months (perhaps years?) and I am not sure about if I have asked here before. Sorry for my ignorance ... Really it's impossible to know how far are these jets and compare it with the distance to the galaxy? I guess that is very difficult... or expensive, because otherwise it would be easier to identify each radio emission with his host. But AFAIK exist some kinds of radio spectroscopy... There are no data in any survey that could give us any clue to study even exceptional cases like this or the SDRAGN candidates?

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

The double seems missaligned and not centered.

Emission is from the starforming regions in spiral galaxy

Posted

• sisifolibre by sisifolibre in response to Dolorous_Edd's comment.

Emission is from the starforming regions in spiral galaxy

Ok, but usually the emission from starforming looks like a lobe located over the core bulge of the galaxy, even when the starforming emission seems to be expanded out of the central bulge seems a single lobe, why in this case seems two separated lobes? I supposed that if the radio emission is double can be from a galaxy at high z. Thanks for the response!

Posted

• sisifolibre by sisifolibre in response to sisifolibre's comment.

Really it's impossible to know how far are these jets and compare it with the distance to the galaxy?

I finally found that I have done this question before and has been well answered. My apologies, I guess that is the problem about to know only a little part... 😕
    https://radiotalk.galaxyzoo.org/#/boards/BRG0000001/discussions/DRG0000h6e

Posted